rTorrent: The Definitive Guide for the WDTV

The place for n00b questions, anything goes...no n00b too n00bish.

Re: rTorrent: The Definitive Guide for the WDTV   

Postby ijenpo » Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:51 am

Anyone have problems with large torrent files? (>25GB)?

My WDTV seems to be non-responsive (network shares off/can't power on) after running a large torrent for a couple hours and I have to pull the plug.
ijenpo
n00b

Postby mad_ady » Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:02 am

It may be due to the filesystem where it writes the file. If you are using NTFS, try to use ext3 instead when writing this torrent. It's possible that the torrent process requests file allocation from the filesystem and this would take a lot of time (and render your system unresponsive) with the ntfs driver.
mad_ady
Developer

Postby ijenpo » Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:14 am

mad_ady wrote:It may be due to the filesystem where it writes the file. If you are using NTFS, try to use ext3 instead when writing this torrent. It's possible that the torrent process requests file allocation from the filesystem and this would take a lot of time (and render your system unresponsive) with the ntfs driver.

My 2TB which is mounted is NTFS. So try booting WDLXTV EXT3 via flash drive?

Will I still be able to use the 2TB HD to mount/DL to?

Thanks in advance!
ijenpo
n00b

Postby mad_ady » Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:18 am

The idea is to create an ext3 partition on your drive and to configure rtorrent to write to it. You can still use the flashed version of wdlxtv.
It can be only for testing purposes (if you don't mind downloading a 26G torrent).
mad_ady
Developer

Postby ijenpo » Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:53 am

mad_ady wrote:The idea is to create an ext3 partition on your drive and to configure rtorrent to write to it. You can still use the flashed version of wdlxtv.
It can be only for testing purposes (if you don't mind downloading a 26G torrent).

I'll have to try this later tonight. So you're saying - just run the ext3 to see if the HD is the problem? I used to be able to run large torrent files on the older firmware using deluge without an issue.

I'll need to look into how to set-up an ext3 partition.
ijenpo
n00b

Postby lula77 » Tue Oct 18, 2011 4:38 pm

Hi , I have just update my firmware from 1.02.21 - 0.4.7.3 to 1.02.21 - 0.5.1.1.
I have mount the same USB drive I used before with 0.4.7.3 and rtorrent is up and running ok :D but I have 2 doubts :? :

When I open the Add torrent option the field Directory is always empty, when I was using precious firmware it was filled out with the download folder I have set as default.

Is it something changed on this version or a problem in my install ?

Also if I click on the ... button it does not show the . and .. to change between the folders and it was available on previous firmware.

Another thing is about the .torrent file , on previous firmware when I clicked on Add Torrent I selected the file in my local machine the torrent was added to the GUI and the .torrent file was added to folter "../rtorrent/torrents" , and the real data was saved on the "../rtorrent/.incomplete".
Now it is only creates the data on "../rtorrent/.incomplete" but the .torrent file is not being saved on "../rtorrent/torrents" is it something changed on this firmware ? Does anyone know where the .torrent is being saved now ? :roll:

Thank You !
lula77
n00b

Postby minorityracer » Fri Nov 18, 2011 3:57 pm

ijenpo wrote:Anyone have problems with large torrent files? (>25GB)?

My WDTV seems to be non-responsive (network shares off/can't power on) after running a large torrent for a couple hours and I have to pull the plug.

I think have the same problem. I've got a 100gb torrent downloading to a NTFS external HDD and my WDTV tends to become non-responsive after a couple of hours.
Very annoying.
minorityracer
WDTVer

Postby avokin » Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:20 am

Hi,

could anyone tell my why my drive could not be mounted to /tmp/mnt. I'm trying to implement steps described here: http://wiki.wdlxtv.com/How_to_use_rTorrent . I've created an empty .mnt file on the root of my flash drive created the "rtorrent" folder. Then I've reboot my device, but I don't see my flash drive mounted to /tmp/mnt.

What's wrong?

Thanks
avokin
n00b

Postby RMerlin » Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:00 am

avokin wrote:Hi,

could anyone tell my why my drive could not be mounted to /tmp/mnt. I'm trying to implement steps described here: http://wiki.wdlxtv.com/How_to_use_rTorrent . I've created an empty .mnt file on the root of my flash drive created the "rtorrent" folder. Then I've reboot my device, but I don't see my flash drive mounted to /tmp/mnt.

What's wrong?

Thanks

I bet you are creating it Windows, and not seeing the hidden .txt extension. Use the web interface, and enable Early Mount on the USB drive instead, it's more likely to work as expected.
WDLXTV Webend maintainer. Visit http://www.lostrealm.ca/wdlxtv to see my other WDLXTV projects.
If you like my work, please consider donating.
RMerlin
WDLXTV Team

Postby avokin » Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:35 am

Hi,

RMerlin wrote:
I bet you are creating it Windows, and not seeing the hidden .txt extension. Use the web interface, and enable Early Mount on the USB drive instead, it's more likely to work as expected.

thank you for you answer.

I'm a Mac user. I created file named .mnt . The OS automatically set "hidden" attribute to it - could it be the reason of my problem? I even tried this way: I created a file named "mnt" (without leading dot) login to device by telnet, looked for the file in the /tmp/media/usb/USB2/{RANDOM-DIGITS} directory and renamed it to ".mnt". And again file became hidden. Anyway I'm definitely sure that is exists on my flash drive.

By your advice I went to web interface of the device, and checked parameter Early Mount. Then I rebooted the device several times. Even after that there is nothing in the /tmp/mnt directory (except subdirectory "app").

What'w wrong?

Thank you again :)
avokin
n00b

PreviousNext

Return to n00b central