wdlxtv 0.5.3.2 video freeze if lan plugged in

the place for WDLXTV 1 bugs

wdlxtv 0.5.3.2 video freeze if lan plugged in   

Postby tawraste » Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:44 am

Hi all,
Just wondering if anyone could shed any light on this problem I'm having please?
Here's the setup:
Wdlxtv with 2 hard drives plugged in to the USB ports.
Here's the problem:
If I plug the network cable into the wdlxtv, at some random point over the next twelve hours the wdlxtv will fail to open the videos on the USB drives. The wdlxtv seems to operate as normal in terms of navigating the menu system, but when I select a video the blue circle endlessly cycles. The box has not crashed at this point because I can hit the back button and return to the menu.
The video files are avi, (xvid & MP3) and play normally at all times except when this fault occurs.
The network connection is being used to access the USB drives from mobile phones using es file explorer and from windows 7 laptops using the standard network.
The router is a lynksys wrt54g.
I have tried using different Lan ports on the router.
The problem occurs when using only the phones, and when using only the laptops.
When the problem occurs, I can still access the media on the USB drives from the laptops and phones.
I can only get the box to behave again by powering off the unit and unplugging it from the mains, removing the network cable and powering the unit back on.
When the problem occurs I cannot restart the box from the web frontend. It just does not happen.
This issue occurred on the previous firmwares also, but I simply hadn't addressed it.

Can anyone shed any light please? I can provide logs if asked, I just need some directions.
Regards,
Tawraste
tawraste
n00b

Re: wdlxtv 0.5.3.2 video freeze if lan plugged in   

Postby ebo » Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:50 pm

By any chance do you have a Seagate BlackArmor NAS on your LAN? Back when I used a WDTV Gen 1 with WDLXTV and a USB to Ethernet adapter, I added a Seagate NAS110 and used it as one source of videos for the WDTV. That worked fine for several months until one day it didn't. Symptoms were exactly like yours, whether the videos I tried to play were on the NAS or a local USB drive. Cold-booting the WDTV would restore functionality for a little while but it would fail, usually within an hour. A file that was already playing would continue to the end but any attempt to play another file would result in the Spinning Circle of Doom (SCOD). After reboot, local files would play reliably if either the WDTV or the NAS were disconnected from the LAN. What little information I could find online suggested that something about the NAS was incompatible with the WDTV but I never found a fix so I just left the NAS disconnected.

Later I replaced the Gen 1 with a Live Plus and retried the NAS with it, first using official firmware, then with WDLXTV. Neither worked. The NAS has been disconnected ever since.

Another well-known of cause of SCODs is header removal compression in mkv files. The Gen 1 and early firmware for later models can't deal with that. However, you're playing avi files. I've also run across a very few files which cause the lockup even though they don't have compressed headers and the files play in VLC.
ebo
Donor

Postby tawraste » Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:09 pm

Hi,
thanks for your reply. No seagate or other nas i'm afraid. The idea is that the wdtv makes the usb drives available on the network.
regards,
Tawraste
tawraste
n00b

Postby tawraste » Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:39 am

Bump?
tawraste
n00b

Postby mad_ady » Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:10 pm

mad_ady
Developer

Postby tawraste » Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:40 am

Thank you, but its not the remote freezing, and I don't have a superhub.
tawraste
n00b

Postby recliq » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:13 am

I don't think anybody is going to debug an outdated, years old release for a player that is EOL for several years now.
I don't think anybody of the WDLXTV devs even has a Gen1 anymore, in fact back in Gen1 ages it was b-rad alone doing all the development.
­WDLXTV Project Maintainer
-:] If you like my contributions feel free to donate for a beer or a new flash drive. ...and always remember: RTFM! (README, FAQ, WIKI) [:-
recliq
WDLXTV Team

Postby tawraste » Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:05 am

Noted, thank you. Perhaps I'll upgrade the unit.
How's the gen3 coming along? Or is gen2 the most stable bet at the moment?
tawraste
n00b

Postby recliq » Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:00 am

Live/Plus is the most stable right now.
Gen3 is still pre-beta and some nice to have features like UMSP are not working...

Have you tried the latest WDLXTV release for Gen1?
http://wdlxtv.my-mirror.eu/index.php?dir=wdlxtv/&sort=date&order=desc
­WDLXTV Project Maintainer
-:] If you like my contributions feel free to donate for a beer or a new flash drive. ...and always remember: RTFM! (README, FAQ, WIKI) [:-
recliq
WDLXTV Team

Postby tawraste » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:12 pm

hi, sorry for the late reply - been out for the count with illness. thanks for all your replies :)
I've picked this up again, and I need to confirm -

Have you tried the latest WDLXTV release for Gen1?
http://wdlxtv.my-mirror.eu/index.php?dir=wdlxtv/&sort=date&order=desc

I have a wdtv live - is this firmware you mention for this unit, or is it for the original gen1?

if not, what is the latest firmware for the wdtv live?

here's my model number for clarity - WDBAAP0000NBK-01

many thanks,

Tawraste
tawraste
n00b

Return to Bugs