USB Ethernet Help

General WDLXTV forum

Re: USB Ethernet Help   

Postby mad_ady » Sun Feb 01, 2015 10:45 am

Let us know which app.bin works. Use the forum search to find out how they work. Not many people left with Gen1s.
mad_ady
Developer

Postby ebo » Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:33 pm

The Gen1 supported Telnet, FTP, NFS, Samba, NDAS and Dropbear-SSH, either in firmware or via app.bins. It's been a long time but I'm pretty sure I used FTP to add and delete files from a USB-connected drive. B-Rad's Gen1 app.bins are described here. There was also a web server app.bin but it was nothing like the webend for the later models. More of a proof-of-concept, at least in its original release.
ebo
Donor

Postby Ian_J » Sun Feb 01, 2015 2:51 pm

I'm nearly ready to give up.

I've tried 2 versions of the pure-ftp and can get nowhere, the one from the wiki here: http://wiki.wdlxtv.com/Installing_Applications - pure-ftpd-1.0.29.app.bin

And the one from RevDrew's mediafire account: pure-ftpd.app.bin

The link to B-Rad's Gen1 blog works but the required file is no longer available.

But no joy.

Is there a step by step guide to getting this thing going?

Am I supposed to rename the app file (pure-ftpd-1.0.29.app.bin) to app.bin before putting it in the root of the drive (I have tried with the files as they are named and renamed with no success)
Ian_J
n00b

Postby ebo » Sun Feb 01, 2015 6:28 pm

Working from foggy and often faulty memory, refreshed by a tour of B-Rad's site:

Obviously it can't be called simply "app.bin" because you may want more than one. I think any valid filename that ends in ".app.bin" is OK. "pure-ftpd.app.bin" is definitely OK since that's the name B-Rad used in his examples.

Put the file in the root directory of a USB drive, usually a flash drive, formatted as FAT32, Ext2 or Ext3 but not NTFS. Then reboot. A hard drive might work if it spins up fast enough during boot. If the drive is also your media storage drive, note that FAT32 has a 4GB file size limit.

Default ID is "root" with no password. Some FTP clients won't work with a blank password.

Many more tips on the WDLXTV App pack: pure-ftpd.app.bin-0.1 page.
ebo
Donor

Postby Ian_J » Mon Feb 02, 2015 12:56 am

Finally got it working, just removed the space from my hard drive name "My Passport"

Unfortunately the file transfer is so slow, I'm getting ~400KB/s 1.1GB file is taking 40 minutes.

The file transfers a bit then pauses repeat until finish, is this normal?

Transferring files to/from our Humax set-top box we get ~4.5MB/s
Ian_J
n00b

Postby mad_ady » Mon Feb 02, 2015 1:13 am

Well, you have the following bottlenecks: USB bus (shared by network and local HDD) and filesystem on that HDD. If you're using NTFS, then it could be a big source of problem. Try with FAT or Ext2/3.
mad_ady
Developer

Postby mad_ady » Mon Feb 02, 2015 5:01 am

Announcement: The older Gen1 app.bins can also be downloaded from our backup server: http://files.wdlxtv.de/g1-apps/
There's also the link posted on the Wiki (first page).
mad_ady
Developer

Postby Ian_J » Mon Feb 02, 2015 8:23 am

Just did a quick test & on a Fat32 drive I get ~3MB/s which is more than acceptable.

However that means I hit the 4GB file limit, how do I work around that?
Ian_J
n00b

Postby ebo » Mon Feb 02, 2015 8:58 am

Ian_J wrote:Just did a quick test & on a Fat32 drive I get ~3MB/s which is more than acceptable.

However that means I hit the 4GB file limit, how do I work around that?
Use Ext2/3 format.
ebo
Donor

Postby Ian_J » Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:33 am

Is there any way to get the WDTV to work with NTFS over network better via a plugin?

I've looked all over for a way to convert my NTFS drive to etx2/3 with having to remove everything but no joy.

I don't have enough space on other drives to move everything over so that I can reformat the drive.
Ian_J
n00b

PreviousNext

Return to Discussion