How to make HD movies to play smoothly?

General WDLXTV forum

How to make HD movies to play smoothly?   

Postby cammus » Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:45 am

Hi, here is situation. I have WD gen1 and NSA310 from zyxel which stores my movie library. I have also raspberry (running on raspbmc) which im using for casual tvshows watching. The thing is raspberry doesnt have optical out (spdif) and my hifi doesnt have hdmi. So, for DD5.1 or DTS movies i could use WD. So far it is watchable only via usb disk attached to it. Ive managed to connect WD to my network thanks to b-rad software. I used some usb-to-lan device, plug it to active hub, configure soft and it is working with cifs settings. It stutter of course. Ive read that NFS is the solution so ive activated NFS in NSA310 but it doeasnt work. WD says 'Folder is empty'. I know that with my limited knowledge there is something wrong with my configs but I dont know how to fix it. Need help guys.

edit: FYI, when I play those 720p or 1080p movies thru raspberry everything is fine (except audio - only thru TV speakers).
cammus
n00b

Re: How to make HD movies to play smoothly?   

Postby RevDrew » Sun Oct 27, 2013 3:37 pm

for the WDTV, you may want to check this page out.

Code: Select all
http://mrlazy.wordpress.com/2009/08/04/how-to-setup-nfs-shares-on-wd-tv-using-hanewin/
namaste
RevDrew™

WDTV with: 1.03.01_B-RAD.CC_WDLXTV-0.5.8.1 *wireless* DWA-140
WDTV Live: new, still in the box & unopened
2 X WDTV Live Plus with: 1.05.04_B_WDLXTV.COM_WDLXTV_PLUS-0.5.1.1: 1 wired, 1 *wireless* DWA-140

http://www.supernews.com/super-special/?i=ZxJfObJynPQ=
RevDrew
Donor

Postby cammus » Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:39 pm

Thanks for the link RevDrew, I checked it but there are no hints how to set up NFS on NSA310 device only hanewin on Windows. I think my problem lies in NFS configuration. My NSA310 have service called NFS server, I enabled it but I dont know what to do next. If you are willing to help me out I provide any info needed.
cammus
n00b

Postby kroetkroet » Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:22 am

WDLXTV-fan! - In case you need further assistance: read our WIKI, search our Forum and most of all: donate 'something' to b-rad for his great efforts!!!
kroetkroet
Beta Tester

Postby cammus » Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:26 am

kroetkroet wrote:Googled a bit for you: http://forum.stmlabs.com/archive/index.php?thread-6841.html

Thanks for the link, very much informations there. However, I still can't get into the bottom of this. Im stuck with creating NFS share, I mean I can enable NFS server but adding share is a problem since this folder structure is not clear for me. When I press add NFS share there is window like this

I have to fill NFS Share Name ( f.ex 'test') and it will be new folder within path /i-data/9f8f314d/nfs/test. Under DN/IP Filter I type * cause it says "You may use '*' as a wildcard character to allow unfiltered access" and I dont know what else should be there. And I choose Read only in last one, then apply.
Next I go to this window

I press Add share

and dont know what to do next :?
cammus
n00b

Postby kroetkroet » Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:38 am

I have absolutely no clue about your device, but I remark a couple of things in your screenshots:

- first screenshot talks about "Add NFS share", whilst the latter only about "share" - I think the latter is only CIFS/Samba sharing
- second screenshot: there is already a share defined (Volume1/nfs), but it doesn't seem to be active/activated

If you cannot "activate" this NFS share, I guess the device cannot control the status, but could indicate that NFS works in autopilot. What happens if you create your NFS share (through Add NFS share), and simply try to mount this share (have a look at http://wiki.wdlxtv.com/Net.mounts) ... especially the "showmount -e IP" will indicate whether the NFS share was successful or not.

Good luck!
KK
WDLXTV-fan! - In case you need further assistance: read our WIKI, search our Forum and most of all: donate 'something' to b-rad for his great efforts!!!
kroetkroet
Beta Tester

Postby cammus » Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:14 am

kroetkroet wrote:I have absolutely no clue about your device, but I remark a couple of things in your screenshots:

- first screenshot talks about "Add NFS share", whilst the latter only about "share" - I think the latter is only CIFS/Samba sharing
- second screenshot: there is already a share defined (Volume1/nfs), but it doesn't seem to be active/activated

If you cannot "activate" this NFS share, I guess the device cannot control the status, but could indicate that NFS works in autopilot. What happens if you create your NFS share (through Add NFS share), and simply try to mount this share (have a look at http://wiki.wdlxtv.com/Net.mounts) ... especially the "showmount -e IP" will indicate whether the NFS share was successful or not.

Good luck!
KK

I did showmount command after I telnet to WD. It shows like this:
wdtv login: root

BusyBox v1.10.0 (2009-02-15 05:09:42 CST) built-in shell (msh)
Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.

#
# showmount -e 192.168.1.49
Export list for 192.168.1.49:
/i-data/9f8f314d/nfs/test *
#

192.168.1.49 is the IP of my NAS and 192.168.1.40 is WD (both static)

my net.mounts file

xmount 192.168.1.49:/i-data/9f8f314d/nfs/test WD_Video nfs

net.config
#
# Network configuration file

#You can override the hostname here:
HOST=wdtv

# if you do not set a hostname,a random one is assigned.

# attempt to set jumbo frames
MTU=9000

#
# Dynamic IP Configuration:
# DHCP=yes

#
# Static IP Configuration:  (only if not DHCP)
DHCP=no
IP=192.168.1.40
GW=192.168.1.50
NM=255.255.255.0
DNS1=192.168.1.1
#DNS2=205.171.3.65

#
# Optional: 

#specify time server host
#NTP=pool.ntp.org

#specify timezone (example=pacific North America)
#TZ=PST8PDT

#do not load any network drivers (saves memory)
#SUPPRESS_OTHERS=yes

After power on my WD it shows 'Scanning the attached USB device' constantly and when I enter Video->Folders it shows 'Folder is empty'
cammus
n00b

Postby kroetkroet » Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:00 am

I don't have a G1 either, but some additional questions:

1) what is the complete output of the "mount" command when booted up - to check that the share is really mounted.
2) can you try disabling the "media library" in the WDTV settings menu (via your television)? Does that avoid the scanning loop?

Good luck!
KK
kroetkroet
Beta Tester

Postby cammus » Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:36 pm

I'm not sure what I have to do to answer your first question - sorry for beeing noobish but can you explain it?

For the 2nd question - when I turn of media library scanning is off and there is only USB1 option within VIDEO category. Also empty. However when I switch to CIFS it is working again and there are all shared folders.

edit: I posted this problem also on NAS-Central and one guy is proposing using twonky from my NSA instead of NFS. There is no problem enabling twonky on NSA but I can't see option to enter this source on WD. See link http://forum.nas-central.org/viewtopic.php?f=249&t=12051&sid=f3189b9c909dcaa3458110f2650a0549. I think he is reffering to newer WD Live device but he thinks it is also possible on Gen1. Could you comment on this?
cammus
n00b

Postby mad_ady » Thu Oct 31, 2013 3:22 am

Twonky is a DLNA Control Point and as far as I remember the Gen1 doesn't support DLNA. There was a possible workaround with djmount (which I think is included in the firmware). It should mount your DLNA server as a storage and you should be able to view the content as if it were local - but I have no experience with it. NFS should be your best bet.
mad_ady
Developer

Next

Return to Discussion