Harddisk Capacity > 2TB (3TB)

General WDLXTV forum

Harddisk Capacity > 2TB (3TB)   

Postby pkroll » Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:17 pm

Hi all,

i read that the harddisk capacity (direct usb connection) over 2TB is NOT supported (and will not in future too).

Example (Extern, USB 2.0 (3.0)):
1.) Western Digital WDBACW0030HBK My Book Essential 3TB
2.) Seagate FreeAgent GoFlex Desk 3TB
3.) Do not know similar products

So my questions are:
a) Does somebody knows a solution of this problem (without smaller partition usage crap and so on)?
b) Is it possible to mount it over network (full 3TB / which protocoll <smb, xfs, ...>)?
c) Do not wanna read some solutions to "create" (fake) 3TB <raid, nas, ...>

I W A N T ( so god will :D ) ONE 3TB HARDDISK direct or network solution for gen. 1 ;)
pkroll
n00b

Re: Harddisk Capacity > 2TB (3TB)   

Postby RevDrew » Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:24 pm

unfortunately as stated here;
Code: Select all
http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5875

At this time, WD does not support using any single 4K drives larger than 2 TB on any of our WD TV line of products. We have found that doing so may cause corruption to the data, or damage to the partition. However, our dual drives and network products larger than 2 TB are not affected by this issue and can continue to be used with our WD TV product line.

while it doesn't specifically say in the title it's for the gen1 player, the text in the body does say "any of our WD TV line of products"
network access of a larger than 2TB drive is apparently fine..
namaste
RevDrew™

WDTV with: 1.03.01_B-RAD.CC_WDLXTV-0.5.8.1 *wireless* DWA-140
WDTV Live: new, still in the box & unopened
2 X WDTV Live Plus with: 1.05.04_B_WDLXTV.COM_WDLXTV_PLUS-0.5.1.1: 1 wired, 1 *wireless* DWA-140

http://www.supernews.com/super-special/?i=ZxJfObJynPQ=
RevDrew
Donor

Postby pkroll » Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:00 pm

Is there somebody who tested(proofed) it with a 3TB harddisk over network (on wdtv gen. 1 with wdlxtv 0.5.8.1)?

I will buy ...

... and post the result the next 2 weeks
pkroll
n00b

Postby RMerlin » Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:50 am

Network access should be fine, since the host is responsible for the block addressing, not the client. So if it's plugged to a PC, your PC is the one that will need support for 4K sectors (as used by all drives over 2 TB).
WDLXTV Webend maintainer. Visit http://www.lostrealm.ca/wdlxtv to see my other WDLXTV projects.
If you like my work, please consider donating.
RMerlin
WDLXTV Team

Postby pkroll » Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:02 am

Network access should be fine, since the host is responsible for the block addressing, not the client. So if it's plugged to a PC, your PC is the one that will need support for 4K sectors (as used by all drives over 2 TB).

hmmm ok ... thats really fine :D ... but why it seems to be unpossible to support 4k sectors in direct access on wdtv gen. 1 (with wdlxtv 0.5.8.1) ??
I can't imagine that there should no solution for this in the world wide web :mrgreen:
pkroll
n00b

Postby RMerlin » Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:11 pm

pkroll wrote:

hmmm ok ... thats really fine :D ... but why it seems to be unpossible to support 4k sectors in direct access on wdtv gen. 1 (with wdlxtv 0.5.8.1) ??
I can't imagine that there should no solution for this in the world wide web :mrgreen:

4K support is something that has to be done at the Linux kernel level. And the WDTV kernel is signed and encrypted by WD, so you can't modify or upgrade it.
WDLXTV Webend maintainer. Visit http://www.lostrealm.ca/wdlxtv to see my other WDLXTV projects.
If you like my work, please consider donating.
RMerlin
WDLXTV Team

Postby roman2025 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:39 pm

DITTO - You are getting into File System limitations... major crap :) The drive you are buying (if it is a single disk over 2tb) must be setup with GPT (GUID partition tables) as opposed to MBR (The majority of disks under 2tb are formatted this way). GPT must be supported by the operating system, if it isn't, it won't work. My understanding is that Windows XP has no support for this and it isn't something a simple patch or extra program can fix :/.... Network access is your best bet, just make sure you have at least a Vista (shudder) machine... Windows 7 is a highly recommended upgrade if you are in that boat :)

-Roman
roman2025
n00b

Postby pkrollNEW » Tue May 10, 2011 1:10 am

Hello Dudes,

sorry for my long delay.

pkroll wrote:

Is there somebody who tested(proofed) it with a 3TB harddisk over network (on wdtv gen. 1 with wdlxtv 0.5.8.1)?

I will buy ...

... and post the result the next 2 weeks

Here my result:

SpecSheet

1. DO "N O T" CONNECT DIRECTLY!

2. I mounted it with xmount and cifs (gbLAN). It works FINE! :D
pkrollNEW
n00b

Postby pkroll » Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:55 pm

ReadTHIS!!! (before USE >= 3TB Harddisks) :ugeek:
Last edited by kroetkroet on Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: un-tinied URL
pkroll
n00b

Postby b-rad.cc » Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:09 pm

For the record i won't click on any link that is not only anonym.to'd, but tinyurl'd. If you want me to look at the link I want to know at the minimum where I'll be going.
PM's are for private matters only, please post public matters on the forum to help others who might have the same issue.
:mrgreen:
b-rad.cc
WDLXTV Team

Next

Return to Discussion