SheetMaker for Linux

Everything (else) to do with Movie Sheets and homebrew firmware on the WDTV(s), including how the %*#^ do I get them working?

Re: SheetMaker for Linux   

Postby bunyip1 » Tue Apr 12, 2016 3:16 pm

Lupissimo wrote:Any plans to the Windows Version public?

I've not the time to review or test sergserg's Windows version yet but if you would like to try it out you can get a copy here => http://www.bunyipawonga.org/files/sergserg-smlcli.zip

Lupissimo wrote:Coming from "Thumbgen" I need a version with similar features for windows 10, since gathering data from imdb no longer works properly in Thumbgen.

As an aside I believe that the very excellent program Thumbgen should not be allowed to die (at least not yet).
There doesn't seem to be anyone championing the program, so I'm taking a look at the program myself, not to enhance or develop, but just to fix the broken bits.
I'm working on the broken IMDB parts now.

It's a complex suite of programs so fixing one section can break another, but if this works out I'll publish fixes as they are done.
No promises though.

Cheers,
bunyip.
SheetMaker Web: http://bunyipawonga.org
bunyip1
DLX'er

Postby mad_ady » Wed Apr 13, 2016 10:53 pm

Great!
mad_ady
Developer

Postby Lupissimo » Thu Apr 14, 2016 4:24 am

As an aside I believe that the very excellent program Thumbgen should not be allowed to die (at least not yet).
There doesn't seem to be anyone championing the program, so I'm taking a look at the program myself, not to enhance or develop, but just to fix the broken bits.
I'm working on the broken IMDB parts now.

It's a complex suite of programs so fixing one section can break another, but if this works out I'll publish fixes as they are done.
No promises though.

Cheers,
bunyip.[/quote]
That would be perfect!! It looks as if it is "just" the parsing of the imdb site, which has changed, since I seem to get all information of the other sites.
The imdb rating is no longer read correctly.
Lupissimo
WDTVer

Postby Lupissimo » Mon Apr 25, 2016 8:57 pm

Any news??
Lupissimo
WDTVer

Postby bunyip1 » Wed Apr 27, 2016 12:54 am

Lupissimo wrote:Any news??

Yes, good and bad.
Getting somewhere on Thumbgen, managed to fix 'Rating' and was working on fixing names (Actors, Directors etc) when those damned 'Microsoft out-of-control forced updates' kicked in and managed to screw up my copy of Windows 10.
I'll need to recover to either Win8.1 or Win10 from the system backups but that will likely destroy my Linux system (dual Boot), which can be recovered but I'm not rushing it.

So I'm afraid there will be a longer delay before I know for sure if I can provide a fixed working version of Thumbgen.
bunyip1
DLX'er

Postby Lupissimo » Thu Apr 28, 2016 11:54 am

Thank you for your answer and your trouble! Hope you can reapair your windows system AND keep your Linux running!
Lupissimo
WDTVer

Postby Lupissimo » Tue Jun 14, 2016 6:29 am

It's been some time and I wonder if you are still working on debugging ThumbGen?
Lupissimo
WDTVer

Postby KoolPal » Tue Jul 26, 2016 6:44 am

Hi,

A quick check for the Windows version. Any progress on this?
KoolPal
WDTVer

Postby bunyip1 » Tue Jul 26, 2016 5:11 pm

KoolPal wrote:Hi,
A quick check for the Windows version. Any progress on this?

Hi KoolPal,

Well I've been doing a lot of 'evaluation' coding to determine the best approach in developing a cross-platform solution.
I've written a lot of test code using GTK2 (x-platform), QT4, WxWidgets, Perl on Linux and Windows, C++, Code-Blocks, Visual Studio, and MinGW (c++).

Here is a summary:
Code: Select all
Linux     GTK2              ImageMagick     Perl                - Good
Linux     QT4               ImageMagick     Perl                - Good
Linux     WxWidgets(wxPerl) ImageMagick     Perl                - Good
Linux     WxWidgets         ImageMagick     c++                 - Good
Linux     WxWidgets         ImageMagick     Code::Block (c++)   - Good
Windows   GTK2              Imagemagick     ActivePerl          - Bad (Can't use ImageMagick)
Windows   GTK2              Imagemagick     Strawberry Perl     - Bad (Gtk2 issues)
Windows   WxWidgets         ImageMagick     Visual Studio       - Bad (Too many issues to list)
Windows   WxWidgets         GraphicsMagick  Visual Studio       - Bad (Hopeless)
Windows   WxWidgets         ImageMagick     MinGW (c++)         - Bad (Can't link to ImageMagick)
Windows   WxWidgets         GraphicsMagick  MinGW (c++)         - Bad (Can't link to GraphicsMagick)

(What about 'Web' or 'Java'? - Needs some sophisticated external graphics support.
And remember this has to remain free and open-source.)

Conclusion:
Cross-Platform development using a common code base is just a dream.
You may be able to get simple tasks done using common code but you have to adopt the 'lowest-common-denominator' across all platforms so you can't use the strengths and features of a particular platform.

A very major issue is that although ImageMagick states it's cross-platform it appears only to apply to the command-line versions. GUI links are sadly lacking.

So I really can't avoid developing separate gui code for each platform (some of the back-end code can be common though).

I'm finishing off the new GTK2/Perl/Linux version and pushing that out, then I'll move onto further evaluation of C++ versions - one using ImageMagick For Linux users and one using whatever MS provides for image creation for Windows users. (or I might get so frustrated with MS that I say 'sorry Windows users but it's time for you to move onto a decent operating system' 8-) ).

This will be a major development task and time is scarce.

Cheers,
bunyip
bunyip1
DLX'er

Postby mad_ady » Tue Jul 26, 2016 11:41 pm

@bunyip: I think you're overcomplicating things :) Here's something new to try - how about windows 10 new "linux shell" feature? You could install perl, modules and everything and use an Xserver for display and have a single code. True, not all windows versions are supported, but at least it will be futureproof.
http://www.howtogeek.com/261575/how-to- ... ash-shell/
mad_ady
Developer

PreviousNext

Return to Movie Sheet Support & Discussion