SheetMaker for Linux

Everything (else) to do with Movie Sheets and homebrew firmware on the WDTV(s), including how the %*#^ do I get them working?

Re: SheetMaker for Linux   

Postby mad_ady » Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:04 am

Can't the GTK2 version run on mac as well? I know other programs that use GTK2 (like Wireshark) work fine on mac...
mad_ady
Developer

Postby jazz » Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:30 am

We're waiting for the new version.
Then, on the other hand, your current version is perfect... what's the point? ;)
jazz
DLX'er

Postby bunyip1 » Wed Feb 04, 2015 2:51 pm

mad_ady wrote:Can't the GTK2 version run on mac as well? I know other programs that use GTK2 (like Wireshark) work fine on mac...

I thought so too but Mac users say they can't get it working, but the MAC users who have tried it admit they are not technically proficient so they can't determine the issues. If I had access to a MAC I could work out why but maybe the new version will work.

jazz wrote:We're waiting for the new version.
Then, on the other hand, your current version is perfect... what's the point? ;)

Yes the current works well, but at a cost. As is usual, the first design of any program takes short-cuts and is generally clumsy in the interest of just getting a working product released.
The current version uses too many third-party (some possibly linux-only) CPAN modules and makes some Operating System assumptions such as relying on external calls to an OS 'zip' and 'unzip' program.

To make the scripts more stable and cross-platform enabled, I have altered the code to use Perl core and internal programmed routines to eliminate the need for many of the external modules that can fail at any time and which we have no control over. It also makes installation much simpler.

To enable the addition of new features and plug-ins I have re-structured the code to separate all GUI components from the core system and graphics processing routines so that any GUI can interface with the main processing code. Whenever the core code needs to talk to the GUI system it just calls a common routine that interfaces to either GTK, QT, WxPerl etc.

As previously discussed, another issue that is emerging though is that the downloads of SheetMaker has fallen to just a trickle, so after I release the new version, if there is no further interest in the program then this might be a signal to just keep maintaining the new version and forget about any new development, but that's to be determined later.

Cheers,
bunyip.
SheetMaker Web: http://bunyipawonga.org
bunyip1
DLX'er

Postby mad_ady » Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:34 am

Don't worry - we're not downloading it because it works just fine. If you want to keep track of your users, simply implement a "calling home" routine and count your hits.
mad_ady
Developer

Postby bunyip1 » Thu Feb 05, 2015 1:31 am

mad_ady wrote:Don't worry - we're not downloading it because it works just fine. If you want to keep track of your users, simply implement a "calling home" routine and count your hits.

Oh yes I realise that, that's why I'll keep maintaining it.

When I release the new version I will expect an increase in downloads over a few months as users update the version - if I get very few hits then maybe it means people have stopped using it.

No, I'm really referring to 'new' users - perhaps when I explain how to run this on Windows then I might get an increase in new users.

The 'phone-home' option doesn't really fit my philosophy - it's anti-privacy, there's too much tracking going on in the internet as is.

I will however put an optional "Check for New Version" in the new release - this will give me some idea of usage.
bunyip1
DLX'er

Postby mad_ady » Mon Oct 26, 2015 5:34 am

I realize we haven't spoken on this thread in a while, but I finally got around to running smcli as a cron job to update my sheets. The problem I ran into was thinking it could take the movie names as command line parameters - that caused the screen to get garbled and me having to kill the process. Next I read around in the code and realized it can take a filelist as an argument.

Here's my recipe for updating the movie sheets for new videos (that get downloded in /media/downloads):
Code: Select all
find /media/downloads/ -type f \( -iname \*.avi -o -iname \*.mkv -o -iname \*.mp4 \) ! -iregex ".*sample.*" ! -iregex ".*Season.*" > /tmp/files
~/stuff/smcli/smlcli.pl ~/stuff/smcli/smlcli-movies.conf /tmp/files

If I want to do the same for series, then this will suffice:
Code: Select all
find /media/downloads/ -type f \( -iname \*.avi -o -iname \*.mkv -o -iname \*.mp4 \) ! -iregex ".*sample.*" -iregex ".*Season.*" > /tmp/files
~/stuff/smcli/smlcli.pl ~/stuff/smcli/smlcli-tvshow.conf /tmp/files

P.S. I know smcli has the option of scanning a directory itself, but I prefer to filter out what I don't need (such as sample files). I'm running this from an Odroid (XU3) without any issues. Thanks bunnyip!
mad_ady
Developer

Postby steffenl » Sun Jan 17, 2016 2:22 am

HiHo,
I'm using the latest cli Version. I retrieving background, fanart and cover only. All other informations are empty. Is there a problem with IMDB or other sources?

Steffen
steffenl
n00b

Postby steffenl » Tue Jan 19, 2016 1:49 pm

steffenl wrote:HiHo,
I'm using the latest cli Version. I retrieving background, fanart and cover only. All other informations are empty. Is there a problem with IMDB or other sources?

Steffen

Fixed! I forgot to install fonts after new Linux install.
steffenl
n00b

Postby bunyip1 » Wed Jan 20, 2016 2:41 pm

mad_ady wrote:P.S. I know smcli has the option of scanning a directory itself, but I prefer to filter out what I don't need (such as sample files). I'm running this from an Odroid (XU3) without any issues. Thanks bunnyip!

Hi mad_ady,
Been caught up in non-developmental issues (life generally) and have been away from SheetMaker for a while.
Filtering is a good idea - I may add more user-definable filtering options in future versions.

steffeni wrote:Is there a problem with IMDB or other sources?

Hi steffini,
Glad you found your fix, although the program is supposed to drop back to the system font if it can't find user specified fonts - I'll need to have a look at this.
And yes, the IMDB component needs updating, they keep changing their web pages and some values may be blank (such as 'rating'). I'm working on an update now.

Cheers,
Bunyip.
bunyip1
DLX'er

Postby mad_ady » Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:14 am

That explains why I had no rating on newer sheets. I thought there was a problem on my end when running the script through cron.

A feature request if I may - can you add a "--quiet" option that doesn't log output to files? I run smcli daily from cron and logs start to add up and need manual cleaning.
mad_ady
Developer

PreviousNext

Return to Movie Sheet Support & Discussion