SheetMaker for Linux

Everything (else) to do with Movie Sheets and homebrew firmware on the WDTV(s), including how the %*#^ do I get them working?

Re: SheetMaker for Linux   

Postby mad_ady » Thu Oct 09, 2014 10:21 pm

I only used wxWidget's perl implementation back in the day with reasonable success, but the module dependencies were a nightmare...

Truth be told, perl is not the best language to write guis in, it's best for text/raw data manipulation...

But anyway, good luck! Let me know if I can help - maybe I can offer some suggestions if you get stuck.
mad_ady
Developer

Postby bunyip1 » Thu Oct 09, 2014 11:35 pm

Yeah, it's only in Perl because its origin was just a simple GUI around an existing CLI program which was already in Perl.

Perl is powerful and mature, I have developed some very significant Government web server apps using perl which have never failed, but it's not popular among developers and so the GUI components have never been well supported.

I didn't expect SheetMaker to be used very extensively, nor to last very long but if Thumbgen dies this program may need to be kept around for a while yet.
If it becomes a widely used tool then I will consider developing the next-generation cross-platform version possibly entirely in 'C'.

At the moment I've licked Perl-GTK and am getting well advanced with Perl-QT4 so the lack of docos is becoming less of an issue.

To be honest I'm not expecting that there will be a need for this program for much longer, as users dump their out-of-date devices and upgrade to newer, they'll find that many devices have built-in scrapers that will do the same job.

I guess that's why Thumbgen is fading.
SheetMaker Web: http://bunyipawonga.org
bunyip1
DLX'er

Postby mad_ady » Thu Oct 09, 2014 11:57 pm

Obsolescense is sad, but I welcome it only if the newer programs do a better job than the older ones. So far it's not the case (IMHO), so I expect some die-hards will keep things running for a while. I'm glad you're one of them :lol:
mad_ady
Developer

Postby KAD » Fri Oct 10, 2014 8:59 am

I think that thumbgen is going by the way side for 2 reasons, 1. as already said a lot of folks have moved to device that have internal scrappers and 2. of those that still prefer an external tool thumbgen has quite a few bugs, that are just lingering unfixed
If you like my work please consider a Donation. Donate
Please read the appropriate documentation before posting questions! READ ME FAQ WIKI
PM's are for private matters. Post support questions to the appropriate forum, or they will be ignored.
KAD
Global Moderator

Postby bunyip1 » Sat Oct 11, 2014 1:53 am

KAD wrote:I think that thumbgen is going by the way side for 2 reasons, 1. as already said a lot of folks have moved to device that have internal scrappers and 2. of those that still prefer an external tool thumbgen has quite a few bugs, that are just lingering unfixed

Recent comments by author Thumbgen suggest that what started out as an enjoyble development exercise had, over the years, become a burden and a nuisance and when this happens it's best to let it go.
Credit to Thumbgen for releasing the code as open source, there is still a chance that someone will pick it up, it's not dead yet, just sleeping.
I've had a quick look at the code and there will be a steep learning curve for anyone who wants to support it.

Obviously the advantages with external open-source programs is the ability to personalise outputs and to fix breakages fairly quickly. Device firmware scrapers that break could take months to years to fix (if at all), as you're at the mercy of large corporations who often decide that the fix is for you to buy their newer device.

So there should be at least one generic open-source program around, even if it's just for broken and old devices.
bunyip1
DLX'er

Postby mad_ady » Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:51 am

I have a moderately easy to implement feature request for the upcoming version - the ability to automatically skip any movies called "sample.*". I've noticed that some torrent releases ship with a sample.avi or sample.mkv which doesn't need its own sheet anyway.
It would be nice if SheetMaker would skip it or offer a checkbox somewhere to skip them on parsing.

Thanks!
mad_ady
Developer

Postby bunyip1 » Thu Nov 20, 2014 2:10 pm

mad_ady wrote:I have a moderately easy to implement feature request for the upcoming version - the ability to automatically skip any movies called "sample.*".

Yep, that's a fair idea.
I can take it a step further and add a 'settings' feature where the user can create a list of one or more exclusion literals, if needed - together with a checkbox to turn this feature on/off at run time.

Cheers,
bunyip.
bunyip1
DLX'er

Postby mad_ady » Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:36 pm

Excellent! Thanks!
mad_ady
Developer

Postby KenG » Sun Feb 01, 2015 3:30 pm

Hi Bunyip,
Any news on the windows version?

cheers
Ken
KenG
Donor

Postby bunyip1 » Wed Feb 04, 2015 1:47 am

KenG wrote:Hi Bunyip,
Any news on the windows version?
cheers
Ken

Hi KenG,

Not directly yet. I found most of my limited development time was being used up working on a QT version for Mac users.
QT requires so much more manual development than GTK2, so I have dumped QT development for now and am concentrating on getting the new GTK version released.
The upshot here is that I'm ensuring that the new GTK2 version will also work in Windows using ActivePerl and other freely available tools.
Once released I'll get back to the other versions.

Cheers,
bunyip.
bunyip1
DLX'er

PreviousNext

Return to Movie Sheet Support & Discussion