MSHEETDIR migration guide

Everything (else) to do with Movie Sheets and homebrew firmware on the WDTV(s), including how the %*#^ do I get them working?

MSHEETDIR migration guide   

Postby KAD » Sun Jul 31, 2011 1:48 pm

This guide is intended to give information and steps for those migrating from 1.02.21 dynamic moviesheets to a new firmware based on linksheets. This method has been tested on both ext3 and fat32 drives, I suspect it should work on any other drive format that is supported.

First off MSHEETDIR is an option and is not required for linksheets to work, but many will find the benefit of MSHEETDIR very appealing.
MSHEETDIR is a single folder which will contain all your moviesheets, with all sheets located in 1 location the lengthy time needed to scan and gather the sheets is not needed.
When properly set up MSHEETDIR makes all sheets available almost instantly after boot

1. create a folder somewhere on a local device - I titled my folder MSHEETDIR (you may want to name the dir .MSHEETDIR by starting with a period it will be hidden and not appear in the osd)
2. use the WEC to confirm that MSHEETDIR is NOT enabled - enabling MSHEETDIR at this point will cause some problems
3. use WEC to enable early mount for the drive that will contain your MSHEETDIR
4. Reboot and allow linksheets to fully run - the light on your device will stop blinking
5. Now that linksheets has finished log in to telnet/ssh and execute the following command
Code: Select all
cp /msheets/* /path/to/MSHEETDIR

note that this is quite slow and took about 10 minutes here for approx 1000 sheets - you'll know it's done when you get a new prompt sign "#"

6. use WEC to set your MSHEETDIR - (linksheets must stay enabled) & the path to MSHEETDIR must begin with
/tmp/mnt/../path/toyour/MSHEETDIR

7. only needed if WDLXTV version is < 5.1.4
Now that your MSHEETDIR has been populated, you must delete your sheets located anywhere else on the system
This is very important that you do not have duplicate sheets located anywhere else, if you do next time you reboot linksheets will corrupt your MSHEETDIR rendering it useless Again Step 7, Not Needed on WDLXTV version >= 5.1.4

8.Reboot and enjoy

Now that your initial MSHEETDIR is set up a couple of notes
It's a good idea to keep a copy of you MSHEETDIR someplace else, like your local computer, just in case something happens.
As your library grows and you add new sheets to your MSHEETDIR, you will need to rename your new sheets like this:

Batman_sheet.jpg becomes Batman
Batman.m2ts_sheet.jpg becomes Batman.m2ts
Batman.mkv_sheet.jpg becomes Batman.mkv

KAD

EDIT: for anybody wanting the MSHEETDIR to be located on a network share, please use the NETAPP feature to mount the directory
If you like my work please consider a Donation. Donate
Please read the appropriate documentation before posting questions! READ ME FAQ WIKI
PM's are for private matters. Post support questions to the appropriate forum, or they will be ignored.
KAD
Global Moderator

Re: MSHEETDIR migration guide   

Postby RavRob » Sun Jul 31, 2011 3:51 pm

Very nice tut bro. Thanks
Windows 10
WDTV Live
1.02.21 WDLXTV 0.5.1.4 (Beta)
Linksys - WUSB600N USB Adapter
DLink - Dir-655 Router
Atheros - AR8131 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller (NDIS 6.20)
Kodi - The Future of Television
RavRob
Supporter

Postby mad_ady » Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:00 pm

Took the liberty to wikify your tutorial, KAD
http://wiki.wdlxtv.com/MSHEETDIR_migration_guide

Feel free to update/beautify it at will
mad_ady
Developer

Postby engineer14 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:30 am

Thanks for your guide !

One thing I´d like to add: With your guide, linksheet will still scan all drives at startup, making it rather slow for some minutes.
Maybe you would like to add b-rad´s way of disabling scanning to your guide (via S00user-script), as you discussed at http://forum.wdlxtv.com/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=4407&p=36996&hilit=msheetdir#p36996 ?

Works very smooth here.

Of course you have to update linksheets manually then, but you don´t have to do the renaming of sheets. Just copy the new sheets to MSHEETDIR and run linksheets then via telnet/SSH.

Sidenote: Here it didn´t work with a ntfs - usb Stick, nor on an ntfs hdd. Only ext3 worked. No idea why.
engineer14
Donor

Postby KAD » Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:21 am

@mad_ady, thanks

@engineer14, the link you provide is some good background, it's that discussion combined with the need to modify the linksheet script to handle menusheets as well that resulted in this tutorial,

my recommendation though would be to leave linksheets as it is, and not disable it with the user-script
afterall if linksheets is disabled how will MSHEETDIR work ;)

some more details about the script that may be interesting

linksheet script is actually called S67msheet it scans for moviesheets and then links them to a directory /msheets
this directory /msheets then get's unionfs 'd with /osd
this results in the a file like Batman_sheet.jpg appearing is /osd as Batman (and yes it's still a jpg, even though it's not named as one)
this file along with some edits that have been done to the .xml's located in /osd causes the image to be displayed on screen

the linksheet script also does one other thing, it handles MSHEETDIR, when MSHEETDIR is set the script will mount -o bind the directory to /msheets which is unionfs 'd with /osd, no scanning required but linksheets must be ON to have the script run,
this is also why, MSHEETDIR will work on fat32 and I suspect NTFS or other format types, there are no format restrictions on a mount -o bind command

so providing that there are no other sheets on the system once MSHEETDIR is mounted and then union 'd linksheet script will exit, my current set up the light only blinks maybe 2 or 3 times and then stops

however if MSHEETDIR is set and duplicate or other sheets are on the system linksheets will continue to scan and create links, this is where the problems are found with drive formats, linksheets ends up attempting to create symlinks on a drive who's format does not support it, this is what causes corruption of MSHEETDIR, if fact this causes corruption on some file systems while others it results in the file being completely removed/deleted

KAD
Please read the appropriate documentation before posting questions! READ ME FAQ WIKI
PM's are for private matters. Post support questions to the appropriate forum, or they will be ignored.
KAD
Global Moderator

Postby xRap » Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:42 am

Thanks for the easy to understand guide, KAD.
It definitely sped things up quite a lot. Thanks. :D

A few things in my findings which I felt worth noting:

I found it better to name the MSHEETDIR folder with a preceeding period (".") such as .MSHEETDIR
That way that folder doesn't show up onscreen. (Without the period, it'll show, and if clicked on, you'll be able to see every sheet in that folder).
You may want to mention this in your guide/wiki.

Since I only ever have 1 attached USB HDD (and no other mounts), I found I could omit your Step 3.
3. use WEC to enable early mount for the drive that will contain your MSHEETDIR

I wouldn't suggest everyone should omit that step, as I see the sense in doing it, if you have more than 1 drive/mount.

I tested it by having .MSHEETDIR on a 4Gb MicroSD FAT32 card (this was also the boot drive with 0.5.0.0 root.bin) which worked perfectly.
MSHEETDIR= /boot/.MSHEETDIR

I also did a seperate test having .MSHEETDIR on a WD 3TB NTFS HDD which also worked perfectly. (NOTE: NTFS worked fine).
MSHEETDIR= /tmp/mnt/<UUID>/.MSHEETDIR

Cheers.
xRap
Donor

Postby KAD » Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:13 am

added a note about directory starting with a period .MSHEETDIR is a good idea

also thanks for confirming it works on NTFS drives

on the early mount, glad it's working for you without, but yes, still highly recommended as early mount is the way to ensure the drive gets mounted the same place every time

KAD
KAD
Global Moderator

Postby engineer14 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:10 am

@KAD
thanks for your easy to understand explanations.

As for disabling the scanning ... b-rad´s userscript only disabled the scanning but not not rest, LINKSHEETS have to stay on. As I understand it, only the copying to /msheets is deactivated by that script.
b-rad suggested to move linksheets to /tmp and then scan manually when need for update ( /tmp/linksheets /path.to.your.MSHEETDIR)

anyway, if it is like you say and it will not scan when I delete all other sheets, that´s the better solution, agreed. I had all the sheets on a xmount as well, so I guess that´s why it took so long here.

however if MSHEETDIR is set and duplicate or other sheets are on the system linksheets will continue to scan and create links, this is where the problems are found with drive formats, linksheets ends up attempting to create symlinks on a drive who's format does not support it, this is what causes corruption of MSHEETDIR, if fact this causes corruption on some file systems while others it results in the file being completely removed/deleted

and this might as well be the reason why I had the problems with my ntfs drive, will try that, thank you!
engineer14
Donor

Postby KAD » Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:30 am

without disabling linksheets you can still run it manually
/usr/bin/linksheets /tmp/media/usb/USB1/23960-765-34677/i/want/this/dir/updated.NOW

but again the danger is that your drive is already mounted, so linksheets will try add the links to a drive who's format may not support symlinks

for myself, I'm just going to move and rename any new sheets to my dir manually as I add movies
rename, then copy, can't possibly take more time than linksheets
when were only talking about adding 1 or 2 films at a time

should a circumstance arise where I had lots of new sheets to add to the DIR, I would probably disable and remove my MSHEETDIR, then follow the instructions above, allowing linksheets to run, then cp new sheets, then merge the 2 DIR's and activate again

KAD
KAD
Global Moderator

Postby recliq » Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:31 am

b-rad suggested to move linksheets to /tmp and then scan manually when need for update ( /tmp/linksheets /path.to.your.MSHEETDIR)

it should be
/tmp/linksheets /path.to.your.movies

not /path.to.your.MSHEETDIR!

Afterwards you may need to copy the new sheets again from /msheets to /path.to.your.MSHEETDIR.

EDIT: Or it may not work atall like KAD mentioned, because of the symlinks.
­WDLXTV Project Maintainer
-:] If you like my contributions feel free to donate for a beer or a new flash drive. ...and always remember: RTFM! (README, FAQ, WIKI) [:-
recliq
WDLXTV Team

Next

Return to Movie Sheet Support & Discussion