LINKSHEETS for IDIOTS

Everything (else) to do with Movie Sheets and homebrew firmware on the WDTV(s), including how the %*#^ do I get them working?

LINKSHEETS for IDIOTS   

Postby karamazovapy » Wed Oct 13, 2010 8:44 pm

I've gotten a few PMs, and there seem to be several confused threads, SO...

1) Make sure you have installed the 4.3.1+ firmware or newer for WDLXTVL+.

2) Update s00custom-options or connect to your WDTV via SSH. If you're using s00custom-options, add the line
Code: Select all
config_tool -c LINKSHEETS=ON
config_tool -c WDTVEXT=OFF

as specified in b-rad's first post from the 4.3.1 discussion thread. If you SSH in, you can just type the previous lines and hit enter. A reboot is required.

3) Organize your videos so that each file is in its own folder. Each folder should have the same name as the video inside it, but without the extension. (Ex. "BestMovie.1080p.2010.BluRay.mkv" goes in the folder called "BestMovie.1080p.2010.BluRay") These folders can all go in your larger "Awesome Movies" folder or whatever else. (movies in individual dirs is personal preference)

4) Download ThumbGen here. Moviesheets don't just magically appear, they're individual image files that need to be created beforehand. ThumbGen makes this an easy, relatively automated process.

5) If you're interested, download a special moviesheet template here.

6) If using custom templates, put the template folders in ThumbGen's "Template" directory (ex. ThumbGen\Templates\WD_OrigLook_SHEET).

7) Run the ThumbGen software. Click on the "File" tab and then "Options" on the left hand side. Click on "Output Naming" to see where your images will be saved. Feel free to modify this to someplace more convenient. Exit the Options screen.

8) Choose a data source for your moviesheets. As an english speaker who wanted imdb info and pictures, I chose TheMovieDB.org.

9) Click on "Process files/folders" at the top of the window. Use the browser on the left hand side to select the folders or videos you want to have moviesheets. You can do this over the network if you have the drives mapped, but it's faster and easier to do locally.

10) Once you have all your folders/videos selected, choose "Manual Mode", "Semiautomatic Mode", "Automatic Mode", or "I'm Feeling Lucky Mode" from the top of the window. Sit back and let the program retrieve data for your media.

11) (Manual Mode) If you want to use a custom template, select it from the drop down list in the lower right corner of the screen. Select the images you want to use and drag them over the preview to see what they will look like. Click "Generate them! (and go to next)" once everything looks the way you want it to.

12) If the moviesheet .jpg files are too big (more than a couple hundred kB), you may need to reduce their quality for them to display properly. I wasn't able to display any images over about 500kB as moviesheets. With a batch conversion program like this you can do all your moviesheets in a few seconds and they'll look almost identical, but with much smaller file sizes.

13) Once you have all your moviesheets created and sized appropriately, move each jpg to its own movie's folder. (Ex. "BestMovie.1080p.2010.BluRay_sheet.jpg" goes in the "BestMovie.1080p.2010.BluRay" folder). There's another way to do it that involves storing all your sheets in a common folder, but I think this method is more idiot proof.

14) Make sure your WDTV is in thumbnail mode for viewing. Make sure "Display file size" is set to "Off" in your system settings. Reboot your WDTV. Wait until the power and usb lights stop blinking. One means linksheets is running, the other means your usb drive is being scanned. Your moviesheets should work! If they don't, you might need to change MSHEETMODE between sheet, wall, or std, or you might need to alter your sheets' names. (Ex. "BestMovie.1080p.2010.BluRay.mkv_sheet.jpg" works for sheet mode, "BestMovie.1080p.2010.BluRay_sheet.jpg" works for std mode) Consult your template and any instructions provided for it.

15) Oh yeah. Have a beer.

edit:
For full information on MovieSheets Naming Conventions: click here.

To regenerate moviesheets without rebooting:
linksheets <DIR YOU WANT TO (RE-)SCAN>

dir should be an absolute path like /tmp/media/usb/myshare
Last edited by karamazovapy on Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Best Game Ever - http://www.bitfighter.org
karamazovapy
Donor

Re: LINKSHEETS for IDIOTS   

Postby b-rad.cc » Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:06 pm

nice post :ugeek:

makin it a sticky :mrgreen:
PM's are for private matters only, please post public matters on the forum to help others who might have the same issue.
:mrgreen:
b-rad.cc
WDLXTV Team

Postby jhspyhard » Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:47 am

LINKSHEETS for IDIOTS, eh? Sounds like I came to the right place :D

This is probably going to turn out to be a noobish question, but I didn't see you touch on this in your How-To doc. I have heard some whisperings that there may be some different steps (or maybe isn't possible at all?) if your media is on a network share that isn't directly mapped using net.mounts. I seemed to have confirmed this when I put a (<500 KB) "<movie.ext>_sheet.jpg" file out on my unmapped network share in a movie folder (containing the same <movie.ext> file) with the linksheet option turned on in S00, but still wasn't able to get it working.

Do you HAVE to use the net.mounts in order to use Movie Sheets with a network share? A hair off subject since this thread is specifically about Linksheets, but what about when using the WDTVExt moviesheet plugin, when it is introduced to the Plus?

Thanks!
Jim
-- Jim --

Check out my ThumbGen Template Blog.
Last Updated: 01/01/2017
JHSMovieSheets is currently at Version 0.9.5.1

D-Link DIR-655 (Gigabit switch)
NetGear ReadyNAS Pioneer Pro 13 TB + Redundancy; (2x Gigabit NICs)
WD TV Live Plus (WDLXTV 0.4.7.3)
.M2TS (HD) / .MPG (SD)
jhspyhard
Donor

Postby haibane » Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:02 am

jhspyhard wrote:LINKSHEETS for IDIOTS, eh? Sounds like I came to the right place :D

This is probably going to turn out to be a noobish question, but I didn't see you touch on this in your How-To doc. I have heard some whisperings that there may be some different steps (or maybe isn't possible at all?) if your media is on a network share that isn't directly mapped using net.mounts. I seemed to have confirmed this when I put a (<500 KB) "<movie.ext>_sheet.jpg" file out on my unmapped network share in a movie folder (containing the same <movie.ext> file) with the linksheet option turned on in S00, but still wasn't able to get it working.

Do you HAVE to use the net.mounts in order to use Movie Sheets with a network share? A hair off subject since this thread is specifically about Linksheets, but what about when using the WDTVExt moviesheet plugin, when it is introduced to the Plus?

Thanks!
Jim

Have you tried this? I have to do it every time I reboot

Telnet to the WDTVLive, using putty or the WebFrontEnd telnet utility
and run the following command

linksheets <FullPathToSheets> 5

<FullPathToSheets> should be something like "/tmp/ComputerName/SharedFolder"
ComputerName name of the device that is sharing the folder, has it shows in the WDTVLive menu after selecting "Network Shares"
SharedFolder name of the shared folder, has it shows in the WDTVLive menu after selecting "Network Shares"
haibane
Donor

Postby jhspyhard » Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:36 am

haibane wrote:I have to do it every time I reboot

This isn't something you would be able to script inside of S00 so it would be run automatically upon reboot?
For everyone's reference, here is another guide that does go over some of the finer points of doing linksheet movie sheets with a network share.

Gonna try this again when I get home this evening. Thanks haibane!
-- Jim --

Check out my ThumbGen Template Blog.
Last Updated: 01/01/2017
JHSMovieSheets is currently at Version 0.9.5.1

D-Link DIR-655 (Gigabit switch)
NetGear ReadyNAS Pioneer Pro 13 TB + Redundancy; (2x Gigabit NICs)
WD TV Live Plus (WDLXTV 0.4.7.3)
.M2TS (HD) / .MPG (SD)
jhspyhard
Donor

Postby haibane » Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:45 pm

jhspyhard wrote:
haibane wrote:I have to do it every time I reboot

This isn't something you would be able to script inside of S00 so it would be run automatically upon reboot?
For everyone's reference, here is another guide that does go over some of the finer points of doing linksheet movie sheets with a network share.

Gonna try this again when I get home this evening. Thanks haibane!

Supposedly it can get scripted, but for some reason I'm not allowed to create a file that does the net.shares thing
haibane
Donor

Postby ltworf13 » Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:13 pm

k I used to have the wdtvlive gave that to my parents. got the plus. I ran the new firmware for plus everything works great except I cannot see the background sheet with my thumbnails that used to show with my old wdtvLive. I've add the
config_tool -c LINKSHEETS=ON

Any help would be much appreciated I miss seeing my thumgen sheets :(
ltworf13
n00b

Postby abehost » Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:38 am

I'm having a difficult time with linksheets, moviesheets or whatever you want to call them.

All I really want to do is put the device in a thumb mode so when I go to the usb drive, I just see the movie covers and thats it....

For some reason, the thumb pics don't show up on the file. They show up in the corners or something, but not actually nicely on the actual box where you click.

How do I simply create a thumbnail view so the only the covers show?

I have Avatar.mkv and Avatar.mkv_sheet.jpg, etc files made already that just have the cover.

This simple thing doesn't seem to be discussed anywhere. PLEASE HELP!
abehost
Donor

Postby gilgamesh_48 » Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:58 am

abehost wrote:I'm having a difficult time with linksheets, moviesheets or whatever you want to call them.

All I really want to do is put the device in a thumb mode so when I go to the usb drive, I just see the movie covers and thats it....

For some reason, the thumb pics don't show up on the file. They show up in the corners or something, but not actually nicely on the actual box where you click.

How do I simply create a thumbnail view so the only the covers show?

I have Avatar.mkv and Avatar.mkv_sheet.jpg, etc files made already that just have the cover.

This simple thing doesn't seem to be discussed anywhere. PLEASE HELP!

If all you want is for the thumbnails to show as cover in the thumbnail mode then you do not need movie sheets you just need the thumbnails named the same as the movie except for the extension. That is you need Avatar.mkv and Avatar.jpg in the same directory and you can turn the sheets off.
Old dog; Places to go, things to do, people to sniff.
gilgamesh_48
WDTVer

Postby karamazovapy » Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:07 am

You can also save each one as "folder.jpg" and they'll work quite nicely.
Best Game Ever - http://www.bitfighter.org
karamazovapy
Donor

Next

Return to Movie Sheet Support & Discussion