How to generate backdrop.jpg or Fanart.jpg

Support forum for the great ThumbGen software

How to generate backdrop.jpg or Fanart.jpg   

Postby canbonbon » Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:46 am

I have WDTV, google TV and an XBMC box. All my media files are on a NAS repository. I have been using Thumbgen for a couple of years to generate the following files (for a movie.mkv file):
movie.jpg
movie.tmdb
movie.mkv_sheet.jpg

Both googleTV and WD point to this folder on NAS are able to show the Cover Art and the sheet, so all was good.

Recently, I have added XMBC to the mix. XBMC needs
movie-poster.jpg
movie.nfo
movie-fanart.jpg

So in the absence of any other solution, I am using the generate extra thumbnail option to generate the movie-poster.jpg. I am also generating the movie.nfo. But I am not able to generate the movie-fanart.jpg in anyway. I see that Thumbgen downloads a variety of backdrops but does not allow me to save them automatically. Only in manual mode there is an option to save them by clicking the save icon.

Is there anyway I can configure Thumbgen to save the Backdrop file as movie-fanart.jpg? Or any other way to generate movie-fanart.jpg?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
canbonbon
n00b

Re: How to generate backdrop.jpg or Fanart.jpg   

Postby mad_ady » Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:15 am

If you configure thumbgen to also save the tgmd file, you can open that (it's a zip file) and you'll find the original backdrop and fanart inside. You can then write a shell script to extract the fanart and rename it the way you like it. Bonus point - in order to preserve disk space try to use symlinks to your actual sheets.
mad_ady
Developer

Postby canbonbon » Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:38 am

Thanks for your quick response.

>>You can then write a shell script to extract the fanart and rename it the way you like it.
First, I am using thumbgen on windows so I have no idea how to write a shell script on Windows (I thought they were a UNIX thing). If you mean a batch file, then I could try to write that. Could this batch file be called by Thumbgen at the end? That way would be great. Also, if you could point me to any examples then I could follow them to develop that.

>> Bonus point - in order to preserve disk space try to use symlinks to your actual sheets.
Once again, could you please point me to some instructions or examples to illustrate how to do that?

And finally, one more question. Is there anyway to call Thumbgen from command line/batch file and pass the movie name as a parameter? The other alternative is to use something like Filebot to gather all the data and then call thumbgen to generate the Movie_sheet.jpg file. Please let me know if that is possible as well. I just tried calling from command line but it does not work.
canbonbon
n00b

Postby mad_ady » Tue Apr 08, 2014 3:20 am

I was thinking of unix shell scripts. You could do them in cmd, or powershell on windows, but IMHO, they are more difficult in that environment. One way to do it is from the WDTV. What I had in mind is this (listed as bash pseudocode):
Code: Select all
for file in `find  /tmp/path-to-your-root-video-folder/ -t file -name "*.tmgd"`; do
  echo "Processing $file"
  echo "unzipping $file"
  echo "use sed or regular expressions to get the parent directory"
  echo "copy fanart1.jpg to the parent directory as the desired name"
done

I don't think you can call the script once a file is generated, but you could run it periodically as a cron job. You could test if the desired file doesn't exist ( if [ ! -f "$targetFile" ]; then ... fi) and process only new entries.

The idea with symlinks is valid only if your filesystem supports it (e.g. ext2/3). For vfat/ntfs use copy instead.
mad_ady
Developer

Postby canbonbon » Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:21 am

Thanks I will look in to this and try various options that you have mentioned above.

How about introducing a new check box in future Thumbgen release to allow it to save the fan art? Just like you have for extra thumbnail. I think a lot of users would benefit from it. I will try to put this request in the request/bug section as well.

Thanks again.
canbonbon
n00b

Postby mad_ady » Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:58 pm

You should contact thumbgen's creator, but from what I know he stopped working on thumbgen.
mad_ady
Developer

Return to ThumbGen