ThumbGen goes Open Source!

Support forum for the great ThumbGen software

Should ThumbGen go Open Source even if the source code is a mess?

Yes
100%
No
No votes

Total votes : 11

ThumbGen goes Open Source!   

Postby thumbgen » Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:39 am

Since I don't have much time lately to maintain the ThumGen project I was thinking it should not get lost. Maybe there are other guys interested in keeping it alive. I am not sure yet if I will publish the code or not, just want to see first if there are people interested in keeping it alive.

There are some problems though:
1. The code is a disaster. This is my biggest concern. It started as an app with one file picker dialog and ended up being a monster. I never thought it will evolve so much therefore I didn't care about any patterns, architecture or rules; just to get a feature ready asap (big mistake, learnt from it)
2. I have bought a 'single developer' license for some components and I am not allowed to share it with more devs. There is a solution for this: as 'open source' we run in trial mode and when we decide we can make a release, I will add the license to the code and build the binaries (something like that, I didn't think too much about it yet).
3. Autoupdate; same as above, the domain is paid for 2 years, no problem, but I'd like to keep control of the autoupdate/new releases schedule

As immediate ToDos for the existing project I see:

1. Implement a plugin infrastructure for collectors (having them hardcoded in the app is not good and not flexible)
2. Separate the project in several layers that could run even on different machines (tried already something in this direction): renderer, sheets generator, collectors plugins, after/before scripting, etc
3. Update to .NET 4.5 asap

I would rewrite it from scratch but honestly I don't have the time and the motivation anymore. Let's see what the future brings...

EDIT: We went OpenSource. See here: http://thumbgen.codeplex.com/
Get ThumbGen!
If you like ThumbGen then buy me a coffee Image
thumbgen
Developer

Re: Open Source ThumbGen?   

Postby mad_ady » Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:13 am

The code is a disaster.

I wouldn't worry too much about it. It's often the case with projects that start small and grow to unexpected proportions to have hard-to-follow code (I've had to rewrite a certain program I made 3 times because the specifications had changed so much that the older versions were unmaintainable. Learning from the process is the most valuable thing you can get as a developer). The way you can improve this is to add comments to your code (if it doesn't have them already) that documents what each function is supposed to do and how it's thought-out. After this minimal documentation, I guess you can release the source (via github?).

I have bought a 'single developer' license for some components and I am not allowed to share it with more devs.

What kind of licensing are we talking about? Compiler? Third-party libraries? Can it be reimplemented in a way that doesn't require licensing anymore? Ideally, for an open-source project to take off you'll need community interest (which I think you have) and the ability to build and try out changes yourself. Having to get a license is a bigger problem than code legibility.

Anyway, it would be a pitty for all your hard work not to be maintained, so, open-source it! You'll lose control over it, but it will be a better product (make sure to add your own licensing so that others can't just sell your work).
mad_ady
Developer

Postby thumbgen » Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:05 am

Thank you for your feedback!

Yes, documenting a bit the code needs to be done, it's not documented at all since I worked alone on it and 'coding speed' was all it mattered :(

We talk about 3rd party component license. It's the base of the ThumbGen concept: the rendering engine. But I just got an idea :) I will isolate the rendering in a "closed-source" component that will contain the licence :) And the ThumbGen open-source project will use the renderer as a free 3rd party component. Problem solved :) The license is one-developer but royalty-free :) I will do that asap.
Get ThumbGen!
thumbgen
Developer

Postby Spiral321 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 3:55 pm

Does all this mean Thumbgen2 is a dead project ?
Spiral321
n00b

Postby thumbgen » Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:51 pm

I hope not. As you can see I am trying to help it happen :)
Get ThumbGen!
thumbgen
Developer

Postby thumbgen » Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:00 pm

It's decided, ThumbGen will go open source on 6th of December (the day it celebrates 4 years) on codeplex :)
Meanwhile I am working on cleaning it a bit up.
Get ThumbGen!
thumbgen
Developer

Postby mad_ady » Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:59 pm

Hooray! :mrgreen:
Make sure to extend the invitation to colaborate also on other forums that might be using Thumbgen to generate sheets (if I remember correctly you can generate sheets in different formats/file names and they work on other devices as well).
mad_ady
Developer

Re: ThumbGen goes Open Source!   

Postby thumbgen » Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:25 pm

Four years ago ThumbGen started as a 'one text box and one button' application to help me collecting some covers for the WD TV box I had at that time.
As a small 'celebration' event today it will go Open Source :-)

http://thumbgen.codeplex.com/

Let's see what the future brings :-)

NOTE: Please excuse the spaghetti code and the lack of any 'architecture' but adding features was all it mattered at that time. Lesson learnt, I won't make that mistake again ;)
Get ThumbGen!
thumbgen
Developer

Postby elroid » Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:45 am

Hello, I write from Spain, and I am translating with google. I have a problem with a ThumbGen when generating synopsis.
The problem is I can not update the information of the movie with the script is to use filmaffinity.es
If anyone can help me I would appreciate.
A greeting.
elroid
n00b

Postby kroetkroet » Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:28 pm

Oops, you did bump into a very old topic on Thumbgen.

My suggestion would be to post in the BUGS section http://forum.wdlxtv.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=20&start=430, however Thumbgen is from a hair apart as dead as a worm.

Sorry for the google translate ;)
KK
WDLXTV-fan! - In case you need further assistance: read our WIKI, search our Forum and most of all: donate 'something' to b-rad for his great efforts!!!
kroetkroet
Beta Tester

Next

Return to ThumbGen