Android screen mirroring to WD (DLNA or Miracast)

The Traditional Anything Goes Section

Android screen mirroring to WD (DLNA or Miracast)   

Postby mad_ady » Wed Dec 31, 2014 12:24 am

Sometimes (rarely though), my wife and I battle over the only laptop we own, so I want to convert my smartphone (Galaxy S3 running AOSP) to a "PC". I could find a USB keyboard/mouse to operate it, but I would like to output the phone's screen to a TV.

The easy way would be to use the phone's dock which has HDMI out (MHL), but sadly it doesn't work with AOSP ROMs because of Samsung's closed source policy (never buying Samsung again!)

So, I'm left with attempting to mirror my screen over network to the WDTV (did I mention I only have a CRT TV?).

I have only the WDTV Live, so it doesn't support miracast, but I wonder, has anybody tried to use SMP's miracast support to stream their phone/tablet? What are your opinions? Is it good enough for a "PC" experience? (I would mostly use browsing/text editors anyway, not gaming).

I've also searched and tried android apps that convert the screen image to a video stream and should be able to send it via DLNA to any DLNA receiver (such as the WDTV), but nothing worked (most apps just locked out my phone). I've tried these apps (without success):

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.sec.android.fwupgrade
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.koushikdutta.cast
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mobzapp.screenstream.trial
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tuxera.streambels
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.oxa7.shou

I'd like to hear your experiences - especially if anyone was able to stream their phone screen to the WDTV Live in any way.
Thanks!
mad_ady
Developer

Re: Android screen mirroring to WD (DLNA or Miracast)   

Postby kroetkroet » Wed Dec 31, 2014 1:28 am

Hello mad_ady,

unrelated to the setup you have in mind, but I have very bad experiences with miracast in general. Even my Galaxy Tab 2 had it, did not work, upgraded firmware and then completely lost the miracast capability. Calling support: sorry sir, you shouldn't have upgraded. Bummer. Waiting for warranty to fade out, rooting the thing and try again.

I tried to hook it up directly to Samsung TV and "ezcast M2", both unsuccessful...

Have a great year-end!
KK
WDLXTV-fan! - In case you need further assistance: read our WIKI, search our Forum and most of all: donate 'something' to b-rad for his great efforts!!!
kroetkroet
Beta Tester

Postby mad_ady » Wed Dec 31, 2014 5:23 am

Hmm, it seems the good thing about standards is there are so many incompatible implementations to choose from... :)
Thanks for your opinion and have a great and healty year!
mad_ady
Developer

Postby sorb » Sat Jan 17, 2015 7:31 am

I haven't tried any mobile app but i use to watch cricket match through miracast using windows 8.1 and it works fine.
sorb
DLX'er

Postby mad_ady » Sat Jan 17, 2015 10:52 am

Using Gen3 as a miracast receiver?
mad_ady
Developer

Postby sorb » Sat Jan 17, 2015 11:58 am

mad_ady wrote:Using Gen3 as a miracast receiver?

Yes i have a gen3
sorb
DLX'er

Postby mad_ady » Sat Jan 17, 2015 10:32 pm

Thanks. Can you also try miracast streaming from android as well? If it works, i'll try to start gen3's OSD on Live :D
mad_ady
Developer

Postby sorb » Sun Jan 18, 2015 1:06 pm

mad_ady wrote:Thanks. Can you also try miracast streaming from android as well? If it works, i'll try to start gen3's OSD on Live :D

sorry mad_ady i dont have android phone to test with and iphone doesn't have miracast. but will borrow it frm my friend to check n let u know.
sorb
DLX'er

Postby mad_ady » Sun Jan 18, 2015 11:53 pm

Thanks! There's no rush. If you do manage to test, please tell me the make of the phone and which ROM it uses.
mad_ady
Developer

Postby sorb » Tue Jan 20, 2015 4:49 am

mad_ady wrote:Thanks! There's no rush. If you do manage to test, please tell me the make of the phone and which ROM it uses.

i tested miracast through samsung galaxy GT I9082 but there the display was jerky and too slow. if i get another phn will test n update you.
sorb
DLX'er

Next

Return to Unrelated