What should I look for in a new TV?

The Traditional Anything Goes Section

Re: What should I look for in a new TV?   

Postby JoeySmyth » Tue Nov 18, 2014 6:03 pm

KAD wrote:WD SMP and Gen4 is capable of playing some 3D content, but again, never really paid much attention
you know who would know that stuff really well is JoeySmyth, he was my main beta tester for Gen4 device

All WDTV's can play 3D Half SBS (Side-by-Side) and 3D Half O/U (Over Under) content up to 1920x1080 [No Higher]

The WDTV's however, Do Not Support "3D Frame Packing" or "Sequential Frames" (which are MVC streams i read somewhere)
(put simply, you can't just rip a 3D Bluray to ISO and expect it to work... it won't)

http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Live-Plus/Wd-tv-live-gen3-support-3d-movies/m-p/640541/highlight/true#M33284

I've got about 60 Half-SBS/O/U 3D Movies all play fine on the WDTV Live Hub and WDTV Personal Edition .... my Panasonic 3D TV does the automatic 3D detection to display them as a Stereoscopic image for viewing with my Active 3D Glasses.
JoeySmyth
DLX'er

Postby mad_ady » Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:25 pm

From what I understand, 3D side by side or top/bottom is packed inside the same format as regular videos, and just the TV has to figure out how to display the image, right? Meaning even the older Live would play back fine such a video and if you have a dumb TV you'd see a non-3d "split-screen video" and if you have a 3D tv you'd get the "real" experience, right?

Anyway, I'm steering away from 3D, since no technology seems mature enough.

I haven't thought of a projector, but it would be difficult to set up at my place, and also I've seen the kid trying to knock down the lights with a ball, so a projector wouldn't be much safer. I mostly don't like that it needs a lot of darkness to watch something, so it would be useless during the day if daylight hits the projection wall...

Also, 4K seems overkill for the content I have... I'll go with 1080p max for now...

Do you guys have any sugestion on what brand to chose? I mean from the point of view of the OSD functionality/filters?

Also, thank you for your thoughts
mad_ady
Developer

Postby JoeySmyth » Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:31 am

mad_ady wrote:From what I understand, 3D side by side or top/bottom is packed inside the same format as regular videos, and just the TV has to figure out how to display the image, right? Meaning even the older Live would play back fine such a video and if you have a dumb TV you'd see a non-3d "split-screen video" and if you have a 3D tv you'd get the "real" experience, right?

100% spot on, correct :D

Back on topic .... i'd love to road test a Hisense Brand TV with built in Android OS ;)
http://www.hisense.com.au/tvs/K680/65/150-51
JoeySmyth
DLX'er

Postby kroetkroet » Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:50 am

Mad_ady: you should learn kiddo not to throw with stuff in the house ;-) If he wants to play football: outside ;-) A beamer is very safe if you hook it to the ceiling (ceiling mount), unless you have a kiddo-monkey :lol: This being said: watch the 2nd hand sites for a while just in case you see something valuable.

For the brands: my advice is to "google" the model/types you find in the shops: sometimes you'd find "odd" numberings, certainly in the chains from Makro shops (Metro group in Europe): they often have good discounts on famous television sets (eg Samsung/Philips), but they are just a little bit different than the others. Are they more suspicious to have defects: my prof economics at the University here dared to state yes, but the stuff I had DOA from this chain was replaced without asking any question (and yes, my first attempts on wdlxtv was from that shop, I thought I broke it, but got a brand new "for free"). One more thing on the shops: if you see larger television horizonally stacked on transport pallets, that's a no-go. Screens (especially plasma's back in the days) had the tendency to "hang", and you'd arrive at home, delighted to power on the television, and then you'd see the crack. Difficult to explain that it was already there before you got it!

One final thing on the "smart": for like 25€, you get chromecasts alikes, and I suspect you'd have an android phone/tablet already at home - with miracast (alikes) you can even mirror your tablet onscreen, that is soo wicked that you don't required a "real" smart tv.

JoeySmyth: that's one bad-ass television :shock: WAF certified? :lol:
WDLXTV-fan! - In case you need further assistance: read our WIKI, search our Forum and most of all: donate 'something' to b-rad for his great efforts!!!
kroetkroet
Beta Tester

Postby KAD » Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:06 pm

just thought this was interesting

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-receivers-amps-processors/1719706-hdcp-2-2-receivers-what-do.html

according to these guys

Currently only 2 video chips exist.

1. Onkyo - HDMI 2.0, HDCP 2.2, 10.2 Ghz

2. Denon, Marantz, Pioneer, Yamaha - HDMI 2.0, HDCP 2.0, 18 Gh

so the magic hardware for 4K or 3D doesn't actually exist yet at all
the chip onkyo is using, does NOT support the wider color gamat or 4K at 60hz due to not enough bandwidth available
the other chip, supports the wider color gamat and 60hz, etc ... but is not hdcp 2.2 compliant
If you like my work please consider a Donation. Donate
Please read the appropriate documentation before posting questions! READ ME FAQ WIKI
PM's are for private matters. Post support questions to the appropriate forum, or they will be ignored.
KAD
Global Moderator

Postby JoeySmyth » Fri Nov 21, 2014 6:20 pm

i found this an interesting read ...
http://www.cnet.com/au/news/hdcp-2-2-what-you-need-to-know/

(i won't be rushing out to grab a 4K TV afterall... :? )
JoeySmyth
DLX'er

Postby KAD » Fri Nov 21, 2014 7:05 pm

JoeySmyth wrote:i found this an interesting read ...
http://www.cnet.com/au/news/hdcp-2-2-what-you-need-to-know/

(i won't be rushing out to grab a 4K TV afterall... :? )

that was a good read as well
If you like my work please consider a Donation. Donate
Please read the appropriate documentation before posting questions! READ ME FAQ WIKI
PM's are for private matters. Post support questions to the appropriate forum, or they will be ignored.
KAD
Global Moderator

Postby mad_ady » Wed Apr 08, 2015 4:39 am

Ok, I'm reawakening this thread because external pressure is driving me to finally buy a flat-screen TV. Apart from all the features discussed in this thread (for which I thank you), there is one more feature I'm looking for... But it needs a bit of introduction...

Up until now, our 3 year old son knew that a TV set looked like a flat screen TV (where he watched cartoons at his grandparents), but in our house we have only an older CRT that we keep off when he's around our room. So, he only knows he can watch cartoons when he rarely goes over to his grandparents. Introducing a flat screen TV in the house would mean (for his 3 year old mind) that we can have cartoons all day every day - which would be upsetting for us :D

So, we're looking for a TV which can do the following:
* Allow you to have different profiles - a profile being a set of TV channels which you can select. Ideally one would switch to a profile only after entering a correct pin. The TV channels are managed by the TV directly, not through a STB.
* Automatic on/off timers
* startup pin
* the ability to switch channels/profiles/on off by using a remote app (if it's a smart TV).

The plan is to tell him that the TV works only in a specific time period or that cartoons are available in that time period without him trying to beg his way into more cartoons. Well, at least for a while...

So, I'd like to ask you folks, what these features might be called? Do you know of them being implemented in any TVs?
Do you know any TVs approved by the North Korean Government? :lol:
mad_ady
Developer

Postby recliq » Wed Apr 08, 2015 6:26 am

Exactly what you are looking for is implemented by Technisat with a feature called TechniFamily.
But those TVs are quite expensive and I'm not sure if they are available in Romania...

Otherwise try searching for "parental control"
­WDLXTV Project Maintainer
-:] If you like my contributions feel free to donate for a beer or a new flash drive. ...and always remember: RTFM! (README, FAQ, WIKI) [:-
recliq
WDLXTV Team

Postby kroetkroet » Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:04 am

If I remember correctly, in the service menu of my panasonic, you'd find "hotel mode", it limits features too, but not sure if it does exactly what you need :lol:

On the subject - kids&television: our kiddo has flat screen tv in daycare, but never made the link to the large panasonic in the livingroom - he knows the name, but links cartoons and nature documentaries to our tablet. Don't underestimate the situational learning abilities of little monsters :lol:
WDLXTV-fan! - In case you need further assistance: read our WIKI, search our Forum and most of all: donate 'something' to b-rad for his great efforts!!!
kroetkroet
Beta Tester

PreviousNext

Return to Unrelated