Goodbye Winamp :(

The Traditional Anything Goes Section

Goodbye Winamp :(   

Postby KAD » Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:57 pm

http://www.maximumpc.com/aol_pulling_plug_popular_winamp_player_next_month_merry_fin_christmas2013

AOL purchased winamp and merry christmas from aol
they are closing it down

:(
If you like my work please consider a Donation. Donate
Please read the appropriate documentation before posting questions! READ ME FAQ WIKI
PM's are for private matters. Post support questions to the appropriate forum, or they will be ignored.
KAD
Global Moderator

Re: Goodbye Winamp :(   

Postby recliq » Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:46 am

Yep, I also read this sad news today and let me just say I'm using Winamp since the first shareware version (I think that was 1997!).
On the other hand I'm still using a 2 year old version and it's running fine and I didn't have the urge to update it the last two years, so I will just keep on using it...

BTW: One fact I encountered several times over the years and which seems to be increasing is that I find myself using more and more "outdated"/"old" software,
because all the newer version are just plain BS. Just some small examples from the past years:

Tiny Firewall/Kerio Firewall: This was my favourite Windows application firewall because it was simple and only was what it was supposed to be: a firewall. Newer version got bigger and bigger adding lot's of features I didn't need or had other dedicated programs for (Mailguard, Scriptblocker, etc) which left the product everything but simple.

ACDSee: Same here used to be a nice, fast and light picture browser until they started to add all kinds of image manipulation etc...

I still find my self surfing on http://www.oldversion.com/ when I setup a new machine. Too bad those old programs seem to have more and more problems with new windows systems (Win7/Win8)...
­WDLXTV Project Maintainer
-:] If you like my contributions feel free to donate for a beer or a new flash drive. ...and always remember: RTFM! (README, FAQ, WIKI) [:-
recliq
WDLXTV Team

Postby ebo » Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:02 pm

recliq wrote:ACDSee: Same here used to be a nice, fast and light picture browser until they started to add all kinds of image manipulation etc...

Agreed. Still running ACDSee 2.43 as my primary file manager (as well as JPG viewer) because it supports 4DOS descriptions (I've been a long time user of 4DOS and its progeny for command line work). I bought an upgrade to a later version (3? 4?) but it was too slow with the added features. An even later version dropped the 4DOS description support so it's dead to me.

Another oldie I still use is Forte Agent 2.0 for email and Usenet text. I like that it has no ability to run anything that might be embedded in an email. It will let me launch such things with an app of my choice but even then I have to tell it twice that I really want to do that. I had a free upgrade to 3.0 but didn't like it.

Oh, and ListXP, the Windows version of Vern Buerg's once-popular LIST program for DOS, to easily view any file of any size in hex or through various text filters.
ebo
Donor

Postby KAD » Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:35 pm

petition to 1. keep winamp alive or 2. make it open source

https://www.change.org/en-AU/petitions/aol-keep-winamp-alive-or-let-it-go-open-source#share

although there's also a rumor floating around that MS is trying to buy it
If you like my work please consider a Donation. Donate
Please read the appropriate documentation before posting questions! READ ME FAQ WIKI
PM's are for private matters. Post support questions to the appropriate forum, or they will be ignored.
KAD
Global Moderator

Return to Unrelated