What would members recommend as replacement?

The Traditional Anything Goes Section

Re: What would members recommend as replacement?   

Postby rgalka » Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:55 am

Thanks for the info... RavRob

I really like the size of the WD and AppleTV... so I will avoid the PC and Laptop route if possible.

bob
rgalka
Donor

Postby RavRob » Sat Oct 19, 2013 12:24 pm

My zotac zbox is the same size as my WDTV Live. Just more powerful and of course a bit more money (well a lot more at $300) but worth every penny.
Windows 10
WDTV Live
1.02.21 WDLXTV 0.5.1.4 (Beta)
Linksys - WUSB600N USB Adapter
DLink - Dir-655 Router
Atheros - AR8131 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller (NDIS 6.20)
Kodi - The Future of Television
RavRob
Supporter

Postby Krypto » Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:14 am

I too have been wondering if there is a replacement for my wd tv live, but I have yet to find anything I like better.
Tried xbmc, but for me and the family it seems more complicated to setup and navigate than it needs to be. Also tried the Wd tv live SMP but navigation is worse than my current wd tv live and some of my movies judders, which have never been a problem on my trusty wd tv live running wdlxtv.

For now im sticking with my wd tv live which is still going strong, thanks to the efforts of this great community :)
Krypto
Developer

Postby Dartman » Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:02 am

I've been using a Pivos Aios for a few years now, it also has a very strong user community and they directly support user mods to make the box better and also have a guy that does the main tweaks and firmware mods like bRad does. It works really well so far and does some things better then the Live does, and some things a bit worse but overall I use it 90 percent of the time now.
They also have a Android based box out as well I'm pretty sure so you might want to do a search on it. It will do chapters in BD ISO files, has a slot for a built in hard drive, and all the other things we like. The network file transfers are slower but transferring files from a USB drive are fast enough and the network plays things just fine. There are other solutions out there now for a lot more money that are probably better as well but happy overall with my Aios and I still have my live plugged in for the things it does better, like share my external drives over the network when it's turned off, sleeping.
Dartman
Donor

Previous

Return to Unrelated