The Little Black Box

The Traditional Anything Goes Section

The Little Black Box   

Postby brotato » Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:52 am

Since there's no general discussion I didn't know where to put this. Has anyone seen this Little Black Box media player?

http://www.thelittleblackbox.nl/en/

It's apparently fully 'hackable' and will be supported by navi-x/xbmc. Is this the next iteration of a media player we should be looking at with the current stagnation in the field. Sounds interesting, wondering if anyone else has heard/read about it.
brotato
DLX'er

Re: The Little Black Box   

Postby blachanc » Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:19 pm

This box just started to be distributed, and I find the price a bit high.

There is a lot of debate around the box, even if it just started shipping ;)

avs_forum_thread

Personally,
When my two WDTV live dies, I will most likely switch to the dark side:
A small form factor pc connected to my tv, to avoid the YouTube TV connected device issues.
More expensive, but way more flexible.

Ben
Last edited by blachanc on Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
blachanc
Patron

Postby brotato » Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:26 pm

with these small form factor computers being the size of a media player i understand going that route. the only thing that concerns me is if remotes can be used, i do enjoy using a remote for my media usage as opposed to a mouse/keyboard. i guess i'll have to wait and see the reviews on this device, it is pricey but it looks interesting. the fact a lot of encoders are slowly using 10bit encodes now will likely cause a shift in requiring a new device and i'm doubting this one will support it.
brotato
DLX'er

Postby recliq » Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:22 am

I'm running a Zotac Zbox nano AD10 with XBMC. (http://www.zotacusa.com/zbox-nano-ad10.html)
It has an integrated IR receiver and comes with a remote and also an extra external USB IR receiver (if the box itself is hidden somewhere and the remote can't "see" it).
The remote is quite crappy but works. I use my Harmony with the Zotac with no problems (at least once you get it configured right ;))

Other than that I guess you can use any small form factor PC with such external USB IR receiver, so the remote should be no problem atall.

PS: Moved this to Unrelated section since it has nothing to do with WDTV... ;)
­WDLXTV Project Maintainer
-:] If you like my contributions feel free to donate for a beer or a new flash drive. ...and always remember: RTFM! (README, FAQ, WIKI) [:-
recliq
WDLXTV Team

Return to Unrelated