Linux/Pi Question

The Traditional Anything Goes Section

Linux/Pi Question   

Postby falconsfan » Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:26 am

SO I bought a raspberry pi purely for its ability to be a cheap video kiosk for a project I am working on, the problem though is that Linux sucks, or rather I suck AT linux. lol :D
All I want this thing to do is simply boot TO a video file on the sd card in a LOOP with NO audio and using hdmi output. Preferably, I would like to show an image in place of the boot code too if possible. I've been searching and searching for a solution to this, but I figure you guys are like linux guru's and you would probably know if its possible or if you have already done it. Please keep in mind I don't know linux very well at all, so please use idiot speak when you are explaining what needs to be done. I would be willing to buy you a pi or something to whoever CAN actually help me with a working solution.
falconsfan
Supporter

Re: Linux/Pi Question   

Postby recliq » Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:35 pm

http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=10218

To autorun scrits like this, start it from /etc/rc.local
http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=35307&p=298000#p298000

:geek:

You might have noticed by now which forum to join for rpi questions. ;)
­WDLXTV Project Maintainer
-:] If you like my contributions feel free to donate for a beer or a new flash drive. ...and always remember: RTFM! (README, FAQ, WIKI) [:-
recliq
WDLXTV Team

Postby falconsfan » Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:18 pm

Hi recliq thanks for those links and I appreciate your efforts, but I am actually already registered there what I was hoping for was more of a custom solution that perhaps wouldn't require raspbian but if someone here possibly had a custom kernel or something. I guess I'm just living on a pipe dream or something. I probably just shouldn't have purchased a Linux device like that if I don't already know enough on how to get started. :/
falconsfan
Supporter

Postby mad_ady » Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:12 pm

Well, getting a rapsberry pi makes sense if you want to tinker and learn in the process. So, as long as you have time and the motivation to learn linux, you will probably figure most things out yourself.

There is little similarity between the pi and the wdtv - they are both embedded devices and run a linux kernel, but the pi is way more open (you can run most linux programs on it) and has fewer binary-only parts (like the OSD in the WDTV). So, a lot of knowledge you migth have with the WDTV will not help you on the PI, but then again, if you have a basic GNU/Linux understanding you can learn to use (and abuse) both systems.
mad_ady
Developer

Postby recliq » Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:59 am

If you want to keep it simple, I think raspbian is the way to go. Most users use that distro so there are a lot of poeple who can help you.
There is absolutely no need for a special kernel! Raspbian come with all you need for your project. It's a really simple process:

1) Install raspbian (it's explained in detail several times on the rpi forum and the rpi wiki)
2) Write a simple script that launches omxplayer to play your video file in a loop.
3) Start the script from /etc/rc.local
­WDLXTV Project Maintainer
-:] If you like my contributions feel free to donate for a beer or a new flash drive. ...and always remember: RTFM! (README, FAQ, WIKI) [:-
recliq
WDLXTV Team

Return to Unrelated