How to play DTS-MA with WDTV Live

Yes, this is your place to show off. Let us see what you're doing with your device[s]

How to play DTS-MA with WDTV Live   

Postby kgian » Sat Feb 22, 2014 2:51 pm

And now that I got your attention, I have to say it is an indirect way.
The WDTV Live can play Dolby TrueHD, but can't play DTS MA. It can also play flac. As all these are lossless formats, when converting from one to the other there is no information loss. The latest version of mkvmerge I got has an option under expert settings to choose a "FLAC" profile. Then it goes on to convert a movie with DTS MA to FLAC. The conversion is very fast, about 3 minutes for a 12GB file.

As most of the new movies are released with DTS MA audio, the only way to get lossless HD audio is the above process. I converted a movie but did not have time to test it with the wdtv live and the onkyo AV receiver. Give it a try though and post your comments.
kgian
DLX'er

Re: How to play DTS-MA with WDTV Live   

Postby KAD » Sat Feb 22, 2014 3:31 pm

yeah, I've heard this suggested before

since you don't say which live, the older live, ok
personally too much hassle WD will extract DTS core from DTS-MA

then regarding newer device Live SMP
this firmware passes though DTS-MA - WD officially added support starting with 2.01.86
http://forum.wdlxtv.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=8707
If you like my work please consider a Donation. Donate
Please read the appropriate documentation before posting questions! READ ME FAQ WIKI
PM's are for private matters. Post support questions to the appropriate forum, or they will be ignored.
KAD
Global Moderator

Re: How to play DTS-MA with WDTV Live   

Postby kgian » Sat Feb 22, 2014 4:20 pm

KAD wrote:yeah, I've heard this suggested before

since you don't say which live, the older live, ok
personally too much hassle WD will extract DTS core from DTS-MA

then regarding newer device Live SMP
this firmware passes though DTS-MA - WD officially added support starting with 2.01.86
http://forum.wdlxtv.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=8707

Yes, I know the new live smp will play DTS MA. I was talking about the old WDTVLXed one :-)
I know it can extract the core from DTS MA, lossless is lossless though and it is just 3 minutes. I read somewhere though that the channels are not mapped correctly when converting DTS MA to FLAC. Haven't tried it yet on the AV receiver.
kgian
DLX'er

Return to Look at Me!!!