for your review: wdlxtv-palace (gen3)

Yes, this is your place to show off. Let us see what you're doing with your device[s]

Re: for your review: wdlxtv-palace (gen3)   

Postby Hemigidius » Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:15 pm

But when i start up the WD TV live i just get the classic WD theme, and under software version it just gives the normal firmware version. Doesnt that mean the WD itself is booting up the WD firmware?
Hemigidius
n00b

Postby KAD » Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:30 pm

the WDLXTV web front in is only available on wdlxtv firmware

version string, check under about where it list the full firmware version
this should match what wdlxtv web end says

as for theme, what did you expect
this is about booting firmware

theme's are a completely separate issue
booting a firmware does not change the theme selected
If you like my work please consider a Donation. Donate
Please read the appropriate documentation before posting questions! READ ME FAQ WIKI
PM's are for private matters. Post support questions to the appropriate forum, or they will be ignored.
KAD
Global Moderator

Postby KAD » Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:49 am

Hemigidius wrote:Hey kad,

I guess my understanding of WDLXTV is totaly of, i expected it to allowe a lot more functionalitys and at the same time change your UI automaticly to something more practicle then the standard version.

Do you by any chance know if its possible to make the ui look like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mtf5OzyicJE and utlise moviesheets now?

Kind regards

first off, PM's are for private issues, so moving forward
firmware enables a lot of stuff
theme's stickly deal with how the UI looks
they are 2 different things

moviesheets - this device has official support for moviesheets, no need for wdlxtv if that's all you want
theme's - this device has official support for theme's as well

so if all you want is to change/enable those 2 items, maybe stick with official firmware
but if you want telnet/ssh/ftp, etc .... then WDLXTV is for you
Please read the appropriate documentation before posting questions! READ ME FAQ WIKI
PM's are for private matters. Post support questions to the appropriate forum, or they will be ignored.
KAD
Global Moderator

Postby sanj4u2 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:59 am

Hi Kad,

Could you confirm if youtube HD will work in the palace mode?

Thanks,
Sanjay
sanj4u2
n00b

Postby KAD » Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:36 am

I doubt it

regular youtube works, but I don't think the HD proxy is in place
KAD
Global Moderator

Postby rolannce » Sat Jan 18, 2014 3:40 pm

Hello. I have successfully umm...installed?... WDFLXTV on my Gen3 hardware. The process did not work for me when I started with the manufacturers latest firmware installed, but following suggestions in this thread I was able to get things working by resetting to factory defaults and 'up'grading the firmware 'down' to the manufacturers previous release, and then starting over from there.

My goal now is to get things so that my laptop (windows 8.1) can 'see' the files on the usb drive (WD MyBook Essential, NTFS formatted) that is connected to my Gen3 Hardware (which is wired via an ethernet cable to my router). I think what I want is Samba - but I can't really tell from the 35+ pages in this thread weather or not that is even doable. If it is a reasonable goal, should this have been working right away or did I miss some extra download or bit of jiggery pokery?

Of course I could be wrong...perhaps it is NFS that I need to allow my Gen3 hardware to share my physically-attached, NTFS-formatted USB drive so that I can see its contents from my windows laptop? If this is the case, is it doable?

As things stand, when I go to the WDLXTV webmanager page and I try to start either the Samba or the NFS, or even the FTP by clicking on the 'built-in deamons' links, I get a window that reports:

Starting Samba Server
sudo: run_samba: command not found
Done

Next steps?
rolannce
n00b

Postby KAD » Sat Jan 18, 2014 3:48 pm

samba server is broken in this firmware

try this one http://forum.wdlxtv.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=8707
samba server is working on it
KAD
Global Moderator

Postby rolannce » Sat Jan 18, 2014 5:48 pm

KAD wrote:samba server is broken in this firmware

try this one http://forum.wdlxtv.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=8707
samba server is working on it

Thanks Kad, I'll give it a try. So in addition to Samba, is FTP and NFS also not working here? Because I was assuming that there must be a problem with my set up for all three to be giving me that same "command not found" error.
rolannce
n00b

Postby KAD » Sat Jan 18, 2014 8:31 pm

ftp does not work on this firmware ...

well, if you read back, I posted a how to get it working, but just the firmware itself without changes ftp doesn't work here

nfs is handled in the gui now, has official support so that does work here
xmount however, sort of works, but not correctly unless you change some paths in the xmount script

as for cmd not found
you'll have to be more descript about what you tried to do
KAD
Global Moderator

Postby rolannce » Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:27 pm

I have successfully installed 2.01.86-EXT3_Palace_Stock_Plus-0.0.4 provided by KAD.
SAMBA, SHE WORKS!!!!
I can telnet into my device as root and was able to change the password.

However, when I point my internet browser to my device's ip number, I am served the original (offical) webpage from WD, not the wdlxtv webend I was hoping to see.

I can see the webservice processes running when I type 'ps' into my telnet window.
I used the config tool to set Apache='ON'.

Where are the htdocs for the wdlxtv stored, and how should I switch things up so that they will be served rather than the manufacturers webpages?

Thanks
rolannce
n00b

PreviousNext

Return to Look at Me!!!