for your review: wdlxtv-palace (gen3)

Yes, this is your place to show off. Let us see what you're doing with your device[s]

Re: for your review: wdlxtv-palace (gen3)   

Postby silentm » Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:14 am

Hi, I followed the guide to put my gen3 into homebrew mode because I wanted to have xmount capability to stream from an ftp source. However it looks like this feature doesn't work. I'm also unable to go back to stock firmware because nginx says the theme file is too big to upload. I changed the client file size max in nginx.conf but then I get the error that file doesnt exist assuming upload.php is not existing in wdlxtv homebrew. If I try to boot the gen3 without the usb key it will not boot at all. So is there any other way of going back to the regular wdtv live firmware?
silentm
n00b

Postby b-rad.cc » Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:30 am

1) once the theme is uploaded it is there. the homebrew & stockify commands do not upload the theme, merely execute commands in it

2) will look into nginx & theme size & put the utilized scripts in the spots it wants them.

3) no clue what version of stock firmware you were running.
PM's are for private matters only, please post public matters on the forum to help others who might have the same issue.
:mrgreen:
b-rad.cc
WDLXTV Team

Postby KAD » Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:57 am

I've gone back and forth a couple of times in testing

here's what I've noticed
once wdlxtv is running
stockify script & status script does not work

to return to stock
I've removed thumbdrive
let it boot
stockify script still will not work, until you reupload
so upload the theme
initiate stockify script

since you can't boot witout the thumbdrive, here's what I would try if it was me - untested
I would wipe /conf
Code: Select all
rm -rf /conf/*
sync && sync

then I would on screen select the default Mochi theme & reboot without the thumbdrive
If you like my work please consider a Donation. Donate
Please read the appropriate documentation before posting questions! READ ME FAQ WIKI
PM's are for private matters. Post support questions to the appropriate forum, or they will be ignored.
KAD
Global Moderator

Postby silentm » Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:24 am

I am not sure which firmware I was running before either.. It was an old one not the latest from WDLive. I had just bought the wdtv because I wanted to switch from xbmc to an external player and I already knew I needed to use wdlxtv for extra features I would need. But I didn't know there was a gen3 that didn't work with the standard wdlx firmware until I got mine. So I didn't bother to upgrade the stock firmware since I was going to use wdlxtv anyway.

I am unable to delete the /conf folder: rm: cannot remove '/conf': Read-only file system
EDIT: just noticed you said /conf/* it deleted all the configuration files and I selected the default theme but still no go on bootup when I remove the usb stick.

I get the splash screen when I reboot the wdtv then I lose signal for about 30 seconds and then the wdlxtv splash screen comes up when the USB stick is in. But when the USB is not in after it goes to the initial splash screen I get no signal and nothing ever comes up after that.
silentm
n00b

Postby KAD » Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:07 am

oh I see, you're actually stuck in a boot loop,

even before I got wdlxtv for this device, I got my device stuck in boot loops, several times

hold the reset button on the side in for 30 seconds, then pull the power cord
also remove the thumbdrive
then plug the power cord back in

edit: any invalid character in an xml accessed at boot time (i.e. welcome.xml, rv_home.xml, etc ...) will put this device into a boot loop
no wdlxtv required to boot loop this device
Please read the appropriate documentation before posting questions! READ ME FAQ WIKI
PM's are for private matters. Post support questions to the appropriate forum, or they will be ignored.
KAD
Global Moderator

Postby silentm » Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:34 am

seems homebrew mode is indeed quite persistent... I've tried all the ways I can think of to hold in the reset button before and after power cycle but it's still getting stuck in that boot loop. When I plug the usb stick back in it boots back into wdlxtv with its configuration reset.
silentm
n00b

Postby roelandw » Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:08 pm

Hello,

Great to see WDLXTV on the WDTV SMP :)

I was able to boot into the new firmware and i can access to webpage to manage some options.
But the FTPD server won't start or something else is wrong because when i try to connect on port 21 i get a connection refused error.
I have already set a rootpassword.

What could be wrong?
Is there a app pack i need?
roelandw
n00b

Postby KAD » Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:36 pm

ftp is not working yet, to my knowledge

haven't really looked into it
just noticed the change from pureftpd to vsftpd
I'm pretty sure the webend and all start up scripts are still pointing to pureftpd which does not exist in the firmware
KAD
Global Moderator

Postby roelandw » Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:04 pm

Oh,

I was asking because on the first page b-rad lists the items that works and ftp was one of them.
Another strange thing i noticed this evening is the fact that i cannot see any content from my (windows)networkshares.
It works with stock firmware but when i boot in the WDLXTV firmware i get the message not media in current folder and the WDTV device even disapears in windows explorer - my network (it was there with stockfirmware and i believe even before i set a root password in telnet). Is this normal behaviour and should i change some windows settings or is it something else?
roelandw
n00b

Postby silentm » Sat Dec 29, 2012 3:05 pm

Do you happen to know where the theme files should be located for the stockify script to work? Since b-rad said it shouldn't have to be uploaded again, maybe we can just ssh in and copy the theme directory to the USB thumb drive and modify the stockify script to point there?
silentm
n00b

PreviousNext

Return to Look at Me!!!