for your review: wdlxtv-palace (gen3)

Yes, this is your place to show off. Let us see what you're doing with your device[s]

for your review: wdlxtv-palace (gen3)   

Postby b-rad.cc » Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:19 pm

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: Merry Christmas!!!!!!!!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

WARNING: bug filled taboo homebrew goodness

Hey guys. Heres a rough first edition of something I've been working on for some time now. :ugeek:

Essentially I found a hole in wdtv firmwares that allows me to run an arbitrary firmware off usb. I've known about it for a long while, but it only got attractive enough to utilize a few releases ago. Now it is what I call 'homebrew mode'

Here are the two files:
http://nextdimension.cc/WDLXTV-Palace-homebrew-kit-v2.zip

NOTE: a *lot* does not work at this time -- see below
http://downloads.wdlxtv.com/wdlxtv-palace/1.12.14_WDLXTV_PALACE-0.0.2.zip

The homebrew kit contains a README with instructions. Heres a quick rundown
- edit the file with your media players ip
- run the script to put your player into homebrew mode
- confirm player is in homebrew mode
- place the files from the other dir onto a usb device, along with wdlxtv-palace.bin
- connect it to your media player
- reboot the media player
- leave the usb device attached : the firmware runs off usb

This firmware is the first version of what might as well be called wdlxtv next gen, or something. I've taken buildroot and integrated all the packages for the firmware and compiled everything from source with the best optimizations using a newer compiler. This means newer glibc. Also means newest rtorrent, nzbget, php, nginx, etc. It also means easier package updating and building, etc.

The sigma bits since they are compiled against antiquated libs in some cases are sandboxed off in /usr/local/wd/lib & /usr/local/wd/bin and every bin has an accompanying script which sets the variables required to force any special lib versions to be used from /usr/local/wd/lib before system libs. This allows the old stuff to live in one spot and not affect the newer libs in the main system.

A lot of stuff works so far, a handful more things I've fixed since I made this image last weekend. Heres what does work:
- youtube
- shoutcast
- netflix
- nfs
- dlna
- ftpd
- rtorrent
- nzbget
- nzbgetweb
- windows network shares
- ssh client & daemon
- homebrew kit compatible

what i know doesn't work:
- samba server (some memory issues)
- most wdlxtv'y bits
- random webend parts

KAD compiled a list of what he's found that doesn't work

KAD wrote:there's a few online media options, that don't work on WDLXTV, they crash dmaosd
- aol hd
- digital network
- snag films
- vimeo
- watch majo
- college sports

I don't have much time during the week anymore, but I'll be working on this weekends trying to get everything smooth. Your help is appreciated.

A lot still has to be done :)

I'll be publishing my full git tree somewhere, soon. With any luck wdlxtv-live & wdlxtv-plus will both be built this way soon.
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

--edit--
Bug priorities:
1) umsp
2) wifi

TO UNDO
I have fixed the exploit working in version 0.0.2 of the firmware, but the important part does not work. That being the actual homebrew/stockify commands. Therefore a mechanism is included (new bootstock command) in the v2 homebrew kit that sets a flag on usb which boots a firmware called root.bin-stock on the next boot. This root.bin-stock allows you to do the various homebrew/stockify commands, test, and/or fully reset your media player to stock mode. The root.bin-stock is booted once, on subsequent reboots wdlxtv-palace is booted into again.

http://b-rad.cc/wdtv-palace-stock-1.11.14.zip
Note: You must be running wdlxtv-palace-0.0.2 and v2 of the homebrew kit as well.
(double note: you can also just rename the root.bin-stock wdlxtv-palace.bin if you're in a hurry)

In windows you'll have to run win-homebrew-themeupload.bat to upload the latest theme. In Linux you'll have to enter 5 at the menu to trigger the hidden re-upload command.

Once the v2 theme is uploaded run win-homebrew-bootstock.bat in windows or enter 4 at the menu in Linux.
PM's are for private matters only, please post public matters on the forum to help others who might have the same issue.
:mrgreen:
b-rad.cc
WDLXTV Team

Re: for your review: wdlxtv-palace (gen3)   

Postby pennhaven » Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:17 pm

Great to see you back and to learn you're working on something new and exciting.

For us non-developers how radically different is this? i.e., Does it mean you're not so limited by the OE firmware's capabilities?

In other words, what do you anticipate this will provide in terms of functional improvement?
pennhaven
Designer

Postby KAD » Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:15 pm

so I thought vudu movies was working
but it seems it does not survive a reboot or even a soft power off/on

I think something with the hashes stored
i.e. it creates the hashes fine
but I'd guess it's not properly decrypting them when vudu starts

vudu creates the file /conf/vudu-json-settings.txt

Error message on screen: read error 3
this error does allow you to exit vudu
Error message on screen: invalid device id
this error does not allow you to exit, only option is pull the power cord, remote is unresponsive

temporary fix
Code: Select all
rm /conf/vudu-json-settings.txt
reboot

once this is done, it will work after you re-input your userid/pass

also note you can only have 5 activated devices at a time
each time you do this, vudu thinks you've registered a new device
attampt #6 will require you to login from computer and de-activate devices
If you like my work please consider a Donation. Donate
Please read the appropriate documentation before posting questions! READ ME FAQ WIKI
PM's are for private matters. Post support questions to the appropriate forum, or they will be ignored.
KAD
Global Moderator

Postby b-rad.cc » Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:28 pm

the 1.12.14 gpl package needs to be downloaded. I might be (am definitely) missing patches to a variety of libraries, some of the patches might be quite important. All in time.
PM's are for private matters only, please post public matters on the forum to help others who might have the same issue.
b-rad.cc
WDLXTV Team

Postby b-rad.cc » Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:11 pm

-bump- :whistle:

b-rad.cc
WDLXTV Team

Postby KAD » Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:21 pm

surpise, wow, I did not expect that, merry christmas everybody from b-rad

for the sake of documentation,
I figure somebody is going to ask

I think accessing samba shares (drives attached directly to WD) is broken
I think we briefly discussed a memory issue
If you like my work please consider a Donation. Donate
Please read the appropriate documentation before posting questions! READ ME FAQ WIKI
PM's are for private matters. Post support questions to the appropriate forum, or they will be ignored.
KAD
Global Moderator

Postby devilstrike » Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:31 am

W00t, very nice b-rad, hope you can fix all the little bugs.
devilstrike
WDTVer

Postby blachanc » Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:24 am

Thanks B-rad for opening this new era... (that is probably what the Mayas were referring to in their calendar :D )

So,
my next media player might be built by WD...
Out of despair, I though my next media player would be a ACER REVO R70 (tooo expensive)

Ben
blachanc
Patron

Postby b-rad.cc » Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:45 am

Let it be, that on the 21st day of the twelth year of the 3nd millenium, the almighty b-rad will rise from his cozy slumber and put forth to the world a new era of homebrew awesomeness. :lol: :lol: 8-)
b-rad.cc
WDLXTV Team

Postby WknThDg » Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:55 pm

I've been a long time lurker since purchasing my Live Plus shortly after it's release, but this development announcement prompted me to sign-up & make my first post to congratulate b-rad (what an achievement!).
WDLXTV has always been a homebrew mod I've wanted to try, but have yet to do so.
But this method will make me take the plunge if (hopefully) he's able to make WDLXTV-Palace (Gen2) available for the Live Plus as stated.
Eagerly awaiting...
WknThDg
n00b

Next

Return to Look at Me!!!