The Best way to go

Yes, this is your place to show off. Let us see what you're doing with your device[s]

The Best way to go   

Postby kennethk » Wed Sep 14, 2011 4:02 pm

My set up:

In a nut shell

TCL L40FHDF11TA 40-Inch

Western Digital WD TV Funny enough my tv picks it up as 720hd display but will play 1080 Movies just fine.

Cables To Go 30504 USB 2.0 to IDE or Serial ATA Drive Adapter + Seagate Barracuda Green 2TB This allows me to have a 2TB external Movie collection and works perfectly.

Optional: Playon Media server + iPod touch Wdtv remote app that allows me to select a movie from my pcs hdd and play it from my wdtv onto my tv.
I just wish there was an app that lets you play external usb videos from your wdtv also but I guess if I wanted to I could just put my hdd into my pcs usb port and stream it through playon and wdtv.

Still a pretty sweet set up.
kennethk
WDTVer

Re: The Best way to go   

Postby RMerlin » Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:41 am

kennethk wrote:I just wish there was an app that lets you play external usb videos from your wdtv also but I guess if I wanted to I could just put my hdd into my pcs usb port and stream it through playon and wdtv.

Still a pretty sweet set up.

Install MiniDLNA or Mediatomb on your WDTV, and stream USB content to any DLNA client such as PlugPlayer (iOS/Android).
WDLXTV Webend maintainer. Visit http://www.lostrealm.ca/wdlxtv to see my other WDLXTV projects.
If you like my work, please consider donating.
RMerlin
WDLXTV Team

Postby NoSubstitute » Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:06 pm

I don't really understand what your problem is, or what you wish to do.

Why don't you hook up the external harddisk to your WDTV and share it?
Then you can accesss it from your pc over your network to put/remove files on it and the WDTV can play anything you have there.
There is No Substitute!
NoSubstitute
Beta Tester

Postby wizball » Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:20 pm

not a noob - - b-rad had hacks working ages ago and was there..

I have wdhdtvlive and bought a 4 port sata docking station - wanted for ages - didnt work more than 2 hdds until hard reboot - and it see all
with b-rads hack.. I got 4 hdds on wdhdtvlive and I bought startech 4 bay sata to usb2 and scares me works good..

Used to have 2 seperate docking stations.. gave those away to workmates..

have maybe 6+ tbytes online to the wdhdtvlive now.. and impressed 4 port docking station shuts down unused hdds by itself within minutes of unused..
wdhdtvlive is not doing that.. the gadget alwayz wanted does..

All 4 hdds go shut down when turn off wdhdtvlive.. There is a problem . got used to wdhdtvlives date thing - quick axx to lastest downloaded = not listed..
on other mounted - but don`t care about that ..

Lan connect to wdhdtvlive = love..

I have almost perfect setup now but need to hack out usb3 for the optical drive - stuff stored b4 hdds got cheap..

[edit]
No need hack out a usb port 3 - bought a usb hub and - it all works - usb port 1 is now optical dvd drive I stored and burned stuff to ages ago
- still do not own a bluray optical drive - and can play stuff stored years ago on optical media - and even iso and not even tried bluray player.

Store on dvdr is old now.. 4 me - and crazy sounds or accident - thumbdrive named index in gets all the .wd stored on it.

SO how does windows7 play to wdhdtvlive work - can that be done in linux - ubuntu?
wizball
WDTVer

Return to Look at Me!!!