FREE iPhone Media Controller for all WD TV Live Devices

Yes, this is your place to show off. Let us see what you're doing with your device[s]

New iPhone Remote App   

Postby dsafety » Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:31 am

I turned to Homebrew firmware in hopes that I might find a way to browse and play music through my WDTV without having to turn on the TV. This limitation is not important when watching video but can be a real pain if all you want to do is to start a music playlist. I am aware that some of the Homebrew wizards have been working on projects that may one day offer this functionality but for now, using the WDTV as just a music server can be a bit frustrating.

The other day, I ran across a brand new iPhone app called Zappo TV that may be the Holy Grail for people like me. The app is still a bit rough around the edges but it has a lot of promise. Zappo TV can play audio and video through the WDTV via most media servers. I have tested it with WMP and TVersity. It also works with iTunes playing directly from the iPhone.

This app is new and is very much a work in progress. It has a couple serious limitations at the moment, most significantly the lack of playlist or shuffle functionality. I have been told that both of those capabilities are in the works, however. It does not currently work with Pandora but does link to a number of other Internet sources such as You Tube, Shoutcast, Facebook, Flickr and Picasa.

When this app adds playlist, shuffle and Pandora, it will turn my WDTV into the most useful component attached to my home entertainment system. As this app evolves, it will almost certainly make the remote included with the WDTV unit obsolete.

Zappo TV works with most of the WDTV versions. The app runs on all versions of the iPhone as well as the iPod Touch. I am not sure about the iPad but if it does not work on that device now, I am sure it will down the road. You need a WIFI connection and the WDTV has to be on the same network as the iPhone.

Oh, did I mention that this app is currently free? It is ad supported with unobtrusive ads that stream across the bottom of the screen. It can be downloaded at the iTunes App Store or by visiting the company web site here. http://www.zappo.tv/

This app could be a real game changer.

Bob
dsafety
Donor

Re: New iPhone Remote App   

Postby b-rad.cc » Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:38 am

don't pointlessly advertise other peoples software in forums where it has zero business. Especially when theres already a zappo thread which you would have found if you searched.

i'm adding this blatant advertisement onto the already existing zappo thread.
PM's are for private matters only, please post public matters on the forum to help others who might have the same issue.
:mrgreen:
b-rad.cc
WDLXTV Team

Re: FREE iPhone Media Controller for all WD TV Live Devices   

Postby RMerlin » Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:32 am

The WDTV is a fully capable UPNP Media Renderer. That means that any DLNA/UPNP client that can send to a remote renderer will work. From Windows 7's WMP "Play On" feature to DLNA/UPNP clients on iOS/Android such as PlugPlayer (iOS), Twonky (Android).

Those will only work with actual file-based medias - I don't think the UPNP protocol can handle direct live streams.
WDLXTV Webend maintainer. Visit http://www.lostrealm.ca/wdlxtv to see my other WDLXTV projects.
If you like my work, please consider donating.
RMerlin
WDLXTV Team

Postby Otesanek » Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:53 pm

z80pio wrote:I deleted the previous version thinking of updating zappo. But realized that it requires iOS 4.2x and I am running iOS 4.1. Can somebody give me the previous version?

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=HCIAS9EV
Otesanek
n00b

Postby z80pio » Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:25 pm

z80pio uses WDTV Live Plus with WDLXTV 0.4.5.3
z80pio
WDTVer

Postby JEEVO » Sat Jan 15, 2011 3:28 am

The current version of ZappoTV in the App Store (v1.1.1) supports 4.0 and 4.1 again!
JEEVO
n00b

Postby adaviramudu » Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:06 am

i installed this on iphone..for somereason its not detecting my wdtv live.. do i need to do anything on wdtv live.. its running 0.4.53
adaviramudu
n00b

Postby JEEVO » Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:19 am

Have a look at this checklist, should work..!

http://www.zappo.tv/checklist.html
JEEVO
n00b

Postby emmjott » Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:02 am

One thing that's been bothering me about ZappoTV, why do i need an account at your homepage where all my viewing history gets uploaded to?
I understand the benefits of such an account (i.e. recommendations and stuff) but i'm a little concerned about the privacy of the submitted data.

Is there an option available NOT to upload the history to MyZappo?
emmjott
n00b

Postby JEEVO » Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:31 am

Hi emmjott,

We primarily built this feature for people who are using ZappoTV on multiple devices (iPad and iPhone/iPod Touch). And for the upcoming Android release. You can take all your favorites and history across these devices.
However I understand your point and I will put a feature on the todo list to disable this history feature.
Cheers,
JEEVO
JEEVO
n00b

PreviousNext

Return to Look at Me!!!