iPhone, iPod Touch iPad app to control WDLXTV

Yes, this is your place to show off. Let us see what you're doing with your device[s]

Re: iPhone, iPod Touch iPad app to control WDLXTV   

Postby L » Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:55 am

All this looks soooo promising. Can't wait for the release. However, have you, dear developers, considered this: using remote while watching movie is not so bad - you want to watch the movie, you gotta turn the TV on. But since WD TV Live! is great player and plays all kind of music as well it would be great to control what's played without having TV turned ON. so, cutting long story short: please do not forget about those who not only watch movies, but enjoy music as well with their WD Live TV (WDLXTV). Give us 'touchy remote' with full control ;D

...and in long term planning it would be awesome to port all your job to i.e. Android ;)

Thanks in advance for all your effort put in developing those apps/interfaces! Can't wait!
L
n00b

Postby sergedc » Sat Jun 18, 2011 8:35 pm

L, I agree, the most frustrating with WDTV is that you need a TV on. I don't have a TV (I have a projector) and uses WDTV mostly for music. Did you find a solution?
If WDLXTV is a linux operating system, why can't we install teamviewer?

Any update on the development of the project?
I have gailbroken IPAD, WDLXTV, so if you need a beta tester, just let me know.

Serge
sergedc
n00b

Postby mad_ady » Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:35 am

There are many reasons why you can't install teamviewer.

First of all - as far as I know it is a windows binary that runs through wine - no wine on wdlxtv, and also no i386 binaries supported.
VNC would be the next option, but - wdlxtv does not use a "standard" X server, so VNC can't connect to it.

Think of it like trying to get video from a framebuffer that goes directly to your video card. Most video capture software will display a blank rectangle while recording. Something similar would happen on the wdtv...
mad_ady
Developer

Postby RMerlin » Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:13 am

sergedc wrote:L, I agree, the most frustrating with WDTV is that you need a TV on. I don't have a TV (I have a projector) and uses WDTV mostly for music. Did you find a solution?

Any update on the development of the project?
I have gailbroken IPAD, WDLXTV, so if you need a beta tester, just let me know.

Serge

TeamViewer/VNC/RDP require a desktop environment. The WDTV has no desktop environment, it only outputs pure video to the TV. And it doesn't have anywhere near enough RAM and CPU power to run a desktop environment.
WDLXTV Webend maintainer. Visit http://www.lostrealm.ca/wdlxtv to see my other WDLXTV projects.
If you like my work, please consider donating.
RMerlin
WDLXTV Team

Postby bond_007 » Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:20 am

L wrote:All this looks soooo promising. Can't wait for the release. However, have you, dear developers, considered this: using remote while watching movie is not so bad - you want to watch the movie, you gotta turn the TV on. But since WD TV Live! is great player and plays all kind of music as well it would be great to control what's played without having TV turned ON. so, cutting long story short: please do not forget about those who not only watch movies, but enjoy music as well with their WD Live TV (WDLXTV). Give us 'touchy remote' with full control ;D

...and in long term planning it would be awesome to port all your job to i.e. Android ;)

Thanks in advance for all your effort put in developing those apps/interfaces! Can't wait!

I already put that option on my app. It is possible browse video or audio. When browsing music you can the simply control the WDLXTV without a TV screen switched on. I use it as a remote mp3 player on my stereo player.

I've also managed to integrated the swiping features that the guy who started this thread has made.

Next thing i'm working now on is expansion of the upnp use : control position / volume / ...
For video i show a kind of mini moviesheets which shows the cover (folder.jpg = dvd cover) and a short movie description which is stored in xml (thumbgen) or when not found dug up from internet (movie database site). For audio i now show the album cover, as for the text part, i'm still thinking about what i should put there.

As for now the app only requires wdlxtv without add ons, but there are many great app.bins here which could also be used in combination with a smartphone/idevice

8-)
bond_007
WDTVer

Postby nacmacfeegle » Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:13 am

I would happily pay for an app that does this......
"For video i show a kind of mini moviesheets which shows the cover (folder.jpg = dvd cover) and a short movie description which is stored in xml (thumbgen) or when not found dug up from internet (movie database site)."
nacmacfeegle
n00b

Postby yettie10ff » Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:14 pm

L, I agree, the most frustrating with WDTV is that you need a TV on. I don't have a TV (I have a projector) and uses WDTV mostly for music. Did you find a solution?

I use my WDTV all the time for music without the TV being on. My WDTV is connected via HDMI to my RECEIVER instead of TV. This allows me to simply turn on the receiver to switch inputs, etc.

How do I control the device without a TV? Not quite a touch remote, but windows 7 Playto feature is awesome! I simply stream all my music from my laptop connected to my home network straight to the WDTV. I find this about 100% more convenient than messing with the WDTV remote and on screen file structure, browsing etc.

Try it if you have a Receiver with HDMI inputs/switching.

Here's info on Playto - http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/products/features/play-to
yettie10ff
n00b

Postby jimmylucas88 » Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:08 am

L wrote:All this looks soooo promising. Can't wait for the release. However, have you, dear developers, considered this: using remote while watching movie is not so bad - you want to watch the movie, you gotta turn the TV on. But since WD TV Live! is great player and plays all kind of music as well it would be great to control what's played without having TV turned ONVoip so, cutting long story short: please do not forget about those who not only watch movies, but enjoy music as well with their WD Live TV (WDLXTV). Give us 'touchy remote' with full control ;D

I agree. It would be so much better if you didn't have to have a TV on in order to use the application. I think the app works very well, I just would like to use it in other rooms of my house that do not have televisions. Hopefully they develop the app so you don't need a tv to run it, and hoping they develop it for android soon.
-Jimmy
jimmylucas88
n00b

Postby Sniper_Swe » Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:14 pm

Check http://forum.wdlxtv.com/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=5763&start=0 webplayer jukebox app.bin out. it works great to start and stop music and you are able to choose track on your smartphone´.

Check this pic out: http://yfrog.com/ob7jip
its taken from nokia n9 meego smartphone
Sniper_Swe
Donor

Postby RavRob » Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:29 pm

This also is not really a remote but is very useful for music if your WDTV is connected to our home theatre as mine is. It plays Shoutcast and media from your IPod or IPhone directly to your home theatre of if your TV is on you can play video podcasts, youtube, Facebook, flickr, Picasa or you can browse your local media and play it.
You need these two free apps
zappo tv from the app store
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/zappotv/id406973397
Windows 10
WDTV Live
1.02.21 WDLXTV 0.5.1.4 (Beta)
Linksys - WUSB600N USB Adapter
DLink - Dir-655 Router
Atheros - AR8131 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller (NDIS 6.20)
Kodi - The Future of Television
RavRob
Supporter

PreviousNext

Return to Look at Me!!!