iPhone, iPod Touch iPad app to control WDLXTV

Yes, this is your place to show off. Let us see what you're doing with your device[s]

Re: iPhone, iPod Touch iPad app to control WDLXTV   

Postby jhspyhard » Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:13 am

Oooh, this forum thread looks exciting! I haven't downloaded your app yet, but I plan on doing it as soon as I get home from work this evening. This is very exciting to me because currently I use a USB wired keyboard to type in my search criteria for youtube and the like. From the looks of your demo video, I am thinking I won't have to go out and buy a wireless keyboard to control the WDTV+ afterall to get rid of the messy wired keyboard clutter. This way, I can use my Touch as the keyboard. Perhaps you just saved me $80... are you sure you want to just make this a free app? ;)

Did you ever make a decision on whether or not you were going to open-source this project? I have never used objective-c but I use java and C++ on a daily basis. According to :!: the source of all knowledge :!: wikipedia, Objective C is just C with Smalltalk type messages drizzled over the top. Doesn't look too bad. In any case, I browsed around the subversion server and was unable to find the source code, but I would be interested to take a look at it if it is available for public viewing.

On a slightly related note, anyone else out there who is looking for ways to manipulate or control the WDLXTV or your Entertainment-network from your iDevice, I have found a few apps that have proved fairly helpful to me. Note that all of these apps are free.

Ping Lite - Contains networking tools such as the ability to ping a certain address; pinging an entire subnet (this is cool... it can ping a full range of addresses and shows you which ones are responding... i.e. 192.168.0.1 - 192.168.0.255. It shows a matrix of the addresses, and the active ones show up green. It keeps scanning until you ask it to stop :D) It lets you perform a traceroute function on a particular network address. Lastly, it has a Telnet client built it.

NetAwake - An app that allows you to send off a Wake On LAN magic packet to a specific device. (say, a NAS containing all of your video / music) Very simple, very easy to use interface. I know that there is an automatic feature somewhere in the WDLXTV firmware that lets you do this on device boot, but I haven't had time to figure out how to turn that on yet. This is a good tool in the mean-time.

Mobile Admin - This app is designed by the folks at Rove, and is meant to be a tool to manipulate their Mobile Admin server. However, it works fine for other applications as well. It includes a very nice SSH client and a Telnet client. (I like this interface a little more than I like the one from Ping Lite) This one will allow you to cache your username and passwords for quick login via the SSH or Telnet. It also provides a Remote Desktop (RDP) client. I haven't used this feature, so I am not sure how well it works.

Anyways, I have found these three to be invaluable tools for manipulating my WDLXTV and network without having to power on my desktop.
Thanks!
Jim
-- Jim --

Check out my ThumbGen Template Blog.
Last Updated: 01/01/2017
JHSMovieSheets is currently at Version 0.9.5.1

D-Link DIR-655 (Gigabit switch)
NetGear ReadyNAS Pioneer Pro 13 TB + Redundancy; (2x Gigabit NICs)
WD TV Live Plus (WDLXTV 0.4.7.3)
.M2TS (HD) / .MPG (SD)
jhspyhard
Donor

Postby A Person » Tue Oct 05, 2010 3:11 pm

Hey guys thanks for the great feedback i am sorry to say that there is currently no "real" beta or alpha version yet and that it is not available for download anywhere. I recently had to take a break from this project and tend to some of my other projects but now i am officially back and finishing the app so expect regular updates and a beta version soon. I would say within a couple months, right now my main goal is to find out what i have already done, what needs fixing and what needs to be added. I think the first thing i'll finish doing is the music control with interactive feedback on the remote. :mrgreen:

Expect an update from me in about a week or so. :)
A Person
n00b

Postby burg » Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:52 pm

This looks brilliant,
If you need a beta tester let me know, My iphones jailbroke so I can just ssh the app to my device before you release it via the app store etc to get some feedback for you,
Excellent work,
I've already got the wdtvlive remote from the app store but this looks mint,
Keep it up mate:-)
burg
n00b

Postby jhspyhard » Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:47 am

What the app cannot do:
The keyboard in the app is not perfect because it sends direction commands to the device to move the cursor this causes it to be slow and sometimes quirky.

Here is a thought I just had... Might there be a way to harness the USB Keyboard functionality of the WDTV for use with your iDevices app? That may not be completely clear, so let me try and elaborate. When you are using a hardware USB keyboard and you type a 'A' followed by 'D', the USB keyboard doesn't move the cursor to the two positions to the right, to the 'D' character and then press enter. Instead, it instantly populates the character into the text field using some interface specific to the USB. Is this something that could be harnessed instead of the inefficient (and not always accurate) method you described above?

Maybe some sort of app that would live onboard the WDLXTV and "mount" to one of the USB ports and then provide some sort of interface between your that code and a "virtual USB keyboard"? Another possibility would be some sort of a OS kernal hook to get to the keyboard event handlers? Seems to me, if this were possible to do, it would reduce the lag time while navigating between characters. Possibly would be more complex from a programming standpoint, but it seems like it would provide a much better user experience. Is this something you had considered trying before? I would be interested in knowing the specifics on it, if you had.
-- Jim --

.M2TS (HD) / .MPG (SD)
jhspyhard
Donor

Postby A Person » Thu Oct 21, 2010 4:06 pm

jhspyhard wrote:
What the app cannot do:
The keyboard in the app is not perfect because it sends direction commands to the device to move the cursor this causes it to be slow and sometimes quirky.

Here is a thought I just had... Might there be a way to harness the USB Keyboard functionality of the WDTV for use with your iDevices app? That may not be completely clear, so let me try and elaborate. When you are using a hardware USB keyboard and you type a 'A' followed by 'D', the USB keyboard doesn't move the cursor to the two positions to the right, to the 'D' character and then press enter. Instead, it instantly populates the character into the text field using some interface specific to the USB. Is this something that could be harnessed instead of the inefficient (and not always accurate) method you described above?

Maybe some sort of app that would live onboard the WDLXTV and "mount" to one of the USB ports and then provide some sort of interface between your that code and a "virtual USB keyboard"? Another possibility would be some sort of a OS kernal hook to get to the keyboard event handlers? Seems to me, if this were possible to do, it would reduce the lag time while navigating between characters. Possibly would be more complex from a programming standpoint, but it seems like it would provide a much better user experience. Is this something you had considered trying before? I would be interested in knowing the specifics on it, if you had.

I think it may be possible to have some sort of app on the WDLXTV that mounts to one of the USB ports and then sends commands that way but it is harder from a programming point of view and plus i would have to have some way of installing that onboard app on the WDLXTV, maybe i could transfer it from the iphone device i'm not really sure. For now i think i'll stick with what i'm doing and then release updates as i improve the app. ;)
A Person
n00b

Postby jhspyhard » Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:58 am

A Person wrote:Hey guys thanks for the great feedback i am sorry to say that there is currently no "real" beta or alpha version yet and that it is not available for download anywhere. I recently had to take a break from this project and tend to some of my other projects but now i am officially back and finishing the app so expect regular updates and a beta version soon. I would say within a couple months, right now my main goal is to find out what i have already done, what needs fixing and what needs to be added. I think the first thing i'll finish doing is the music control with interactive feedback on the remote. :mrgreen:

Expect an update from me in about a week or so. :)

Any progress? ;)
-- Jim --

.M2TS (HD) / .MPG (SD)
jhspyhard
Donor

Postby wzad » Sun Nov 21, 2010 2:42 pm

I've built something kind of like this that runs on the WDTV itself. A "web app" as it were.

It has some similar functionalities like a gesture pad. You'll notice the gestures navigate differently based on what orientation the device is, this was intentional and allows for flexible interaction.

To get this to work, simply extract this file and put the contents into the addons directory of the webend (/var/www/addons/) using ftp. (the ext3 firmware is required). Then, using your iphone, navigate to http://YOUR-WDTV-IP/addons/touch-remote . For best experience, be sure to enable full-screen mode by adding it as a bookmark onto your home screen

Download:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/ne4n31d6o3ayvs7/touch-remote.rar

Screenshots:
wzad
n00b

Postby gallo » Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:41 am

Seriously dude this is a wonderful idea and you're a very generous person to devote your time and effort to the scene for free. I cant wait to fire this up and see how it works. Cheers :D
I plan on being kicked off in the near future :o
gallo
Donor

Postby djethen » Sat Jan 22, 2011 4:47 pm

Wzad dude love your work.. will try now...
djethen
WDTVer

Postby bond_007 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:33 am

A Person wrote:I am currently writing an iphone app that can control the WD. It has the standard remote a new control scheme thing i call the gesture pad and the best part is that it supports a keyboard, but the keyboard is a bit slow for typing and only about 90% accurate. Here is a video demonstration of it

Like to know what you guys think and i would love to hear if you have any feature suggestions or if you have an idea that you would like to see go in to the app. There is currently no planned release date however it will be soon. The app is finished but i'll wait and see if anyone has any idea's to make it better. The app is also going to be 100% free and will remain that way.

What the app cannot do:
The keyboard in the app is not perfect because it sends direction commands to the device to move the cursor this causes it to be slow and sometimes quirky. The speed of the keyboard will be faster if your internet connection is faster and an iPad or iPhone 4.0 will be much faster at sending commands than an iPod Touch. It has to do this due to the fact that you cannot inject IR commands through wifi for the keyboard, hopefully this will be possible later.

What the app can do:
The app can act as a remote to control the WD and the interface is like the one that is in the add ons section of the WD. I found it quite annoying to have to open up safari and click on a bookmark to control the WD. The app can also send commands to the WD based on gestures you perform on the devices touch screen. The app currently responds to 10 gestures.

Tap
Performs enter command

Two Finger Tap
Performs the Pause/Play command

Holding Your Finger on the Screen for About a Second
Opens the option menu

Two Finger Swipe Right
Goes Back

Zoom Out Pinch
Performs Enter

Zoom In Pinch
Goes Back

Swiping (Right, Left, Up, Down)
Pretty self explanatory, you can also Invert the controls if you prefer

What 's the progress of your iphone APP ? Would be happy to see it working.
In the mean while i'm also develloping a WDLXTV navigator including moviesheet browsing, remote control + starting of selected movie.
The gesture control is something that i will be implementing also i think.

Here's a preview of my app:
bond_007
WDTVer

PreviousNext

Return to Look at Me!!!