iPhone, iPod Touch iPad app to control WDLXTV

Yes, this is your place to show off. Let us see what you're doing with your device[s]

Re: iPhone, iPod Touch iPad app to control WDLXTV   

Postby kgian » Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:15 am

I only have an ipad, but I guess iphone users would not mind. You can't have to many features, right?
kgian
DLX'er

Postby sockthief » Sun Aug 29, 2010 2:46 am

@kglan, i asssume A Person is querying whether the output should be to the TV and the iOS device, or should it be mutually exclusive. I personally feel it should be controllable, for instance, music control with the tv off, obviously requires that the output be on the App. However, as a remote, with the tv on, then it only need be on the TV. However, there are probably cases when it is required to be on both, so best to leave it up to the end user.

With respect to how to implement it, I wonder how well piping the video straight to the App will work, with respect to network connection and the amount of data that is constantly changing and also the processing required inside the App itself. For instance I read the efforts of porting XBMC to a BeagleBoard, and redrawing the GUI when changes happened was a huge problem and required large chunks of CPU time. To this end, the less data transferred the better. So, a better approach might be to look at what controls are required and send events to the App for those controls and uses the native iOS GUI structures.

For instance, my particular need is to control music when the TV is off, so I require to be able to select the music source (NFS, USB, USB-DVD, etc) select a song or playlist (search criteria would be good) and then play a song and have that information displayed in the App. Then simple controls which you already have to skip, repeat etc. This is then a smaller task, as the App can talk directly to the server side and scrub the necessary information directly from the system.

This is just an idea of mine, but would represent how i would tackle the problem for my own use. Will look forward to seeing how you implement it.

Cheers
SockThief
sockthief
n00b

Postby hoopbull » Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:42 pm

This is wonderful news!!!

Like many users, my biggest need is to select music with the tv off. Unfortunatly one can only select music sent through umtp protocols. If you could figure a way to send music from the iphone or the attached USB, it would be amazing... Oh and a display on an iPhone would also be much appreciated and I agree it should be a native gui. Have you checked out the wdtv remote in the app store?
hoopbull
WDTVer

Postby ManiacBS » Mon Sep 06, 2010 6:54 am

This is exectly, what I searched for!! ;)
I found a video on YouTube in which he problem is solved via an webinterface, so it could be reached from any smartdevice. Perhaps this is an option too, to make the remote available to Android-users.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Sy5dtJ9368

Greets!
ManiacBS
n00b

Postby A Person » Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:29 am

Indeed that is something i will consider, however not all smart phones are the same (touch screens, buttons, etc..) so i may just make an app for each smart phone out there. Right now the top of my list is iphone/apple family (almost done) and then Android, if you have any other smart phones or devices that you would like to see supported leave a comment. ;)
A Person
n00b

Postby radix » Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:13 am

A Person, this is most exciting news. I am an Android user with and Android phone and tablet. I would love to know if you have any sense how far down the pipe a Android version might be? I am sure its a bit away but I cant wait! Thanks for your great work!
radix
n00b

Postby A Person » Sat Sep 11, 2010 11:44 am

Hi radix at the moment i am nearly finished the iphone version, i'm taking a little break right now so it might not be ready for another week or two but as soon as i finish the iphone version i would say at the most (hopefully) 3 months.
A Person
n00b

Postby radix » Sat Sep 11, 2010 12:37 pm

Wow that's great news, A Person. I am definitely looking foreword to it. Would you please post as your progress moves foreword or when you publish the apps? I am subscribed to the thread so I would get notices of the updates. Do you think you will publish the Android version in the Google Android Marketplace?
radix
n00b

Postby hoopbull » Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:24 am

Most excellent! Are you planning on implimenting youtube and pandora suppot?
hoopbull
WDTVer

Postby pentagod » Sun Oct 03, 2010 4:27 pm

I think both would be better.

How long before beta (or alpha?)
pentagod
n00b

PreviousNext

Return to Look at Me!!!