FAQ and Known Issues (last updated: December 3rd 2011)

Official WDLXTV general information, FAQ, & rules

FAQ and Known Issues (last updated: December 3rd 2011)   

Postby RMerlin » Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:59 pm

Frequently asked questions

Q: When can I download a "b-rad" version of offical WD version 1.0x?
A: First of all, it's WDLXTV firmware, not "b-rad" firmware. Secondly, as more recent versions of the offical WD firmware versions are too big to fit into the WDLXTV variant, and we don't want to loose current functionalities, you'll have to wait a bit - "When it's done". Asking multiple times for "When" will not be seen as constructive behavior. Thanks for your understanding!

Q: Where can I download the latest version / what is the latest version?
A: This forum is the most up-to-date source of information and download links.

Q: What is the name of the firmware?
A: It's WDLXTV. b-rad is the name of its chief developer, not of the firmware itself.

Q: Ok, its WDLXTV...So how do you say that?
A: W-DELUXE-TV

Q: What is the Base Firmware / BaseFW?
A: This is the original WD firmware on which a specific WDLXTV version is built. Typically you will have BaseFW versions of 1.02.21 or 1.03.49 for the Live, for example. Some features will only work with specific BaseFW versions, so when picking up a WDLXTV version, you have to check both the BaseFW version and the WDLXTV version.

Q: What are the main differences between 1.02 and 1.03 BaseFW?
A: 1.02 supports WDTVExt and Autores. 1.03 fixes the MKV header compression bug, and has USB keyboard support. Visit the Wiki for more info.

Q: What does "XYZ" mean regarding WDLXTV?
A: Have a look at the WDLXTV Dictionary. If you do not find an explanation for the term you are searching for, add it and leave the explanation blank, hopefully someone else will add the required information.

Q: How can I add information to the Wiki?
A: Register here and get access to all WDLXTV sites. By default you can edit all existing pages, if you want to be able to create new pages on the Wiki contact b-rad.cc.

Q: Why is there no WDTVExt / when will we get WDTVExt with firmware 1.03/1.04/Live Plus?
A: WDTVExt was a unique feature developed specifically for firmware 1.02.21.

Q: What do I do with an app.bin / osd.bin / opt.bin that I downloaded?
A: Simplest answer is to simply put the bin on a USB device and then power cycle / reboot your WDTV with it attached. You must then leave the device attached to your WDTV for things to work correctly.

Q: When will WDLXTV support features from the WD 1.05 firmware? *UPDATED
A: Due to the numerous additions WD made to 1.04 and 1.05, getting a WDLXTV version that can be flashed is challenging, due to running out of flash space. There is currently a beta build of WDLXTV based on 1.05 that is bootable from USB and available to betatesters and donors, so worst case scenario, a USB-based version will be eventually available. There is no precise ETA at this point for a final release date, current target is sometime during Summer 2011.

Q: How do I access the WebEnd?
A: Open a web browser, and enter your WDTV's IP address (for example, http://192.168.0.110). If you get a "connection refused", double check you used the right IP and if you did, the webserver on WDTV might not be running (have a look here how to enable it).

Q: When I try to connect to telnet/ssh/webend I'm asked for a username/password what should I use?
A: This is quite clearly stated in the README:
PASSWORDS

Q: What is WEC, and how do I use it?
A: WEC stands for WebEnd Configurator. It is the recommended way of configuring WDLXTV. Access the webend through the WDTV IP address, then click on WDLXTV Config.

Q: What is the default password for webend/ssh/telnet/mt-daapd?
A: This is a test to make sure you are worthy of using WDLXTV. Study the README included with the firmware for the answer to that question. Trust us, you will thank us later.

Q: How can I browse the web with my WDTV?
A: You can't. The Webend is a web server, not a web browser.

Q: What type of moviesheet support is available for which firmware? What's the difference between moviesheets and linksheets?
A: Moviesheets is often used both as the general feature AND the actual WDTVExt plugin, hence the confusion.

General moviesheets is the feature of some media players (like the WDTV) to display a full page of info related to a specific video file.
http://wiki.wdlxtv.com/How_to_use_Movie_sheets

WDLXTV implements it in two ways:
  1. Movie_sheets - a WDTVExt plugin. This is what is used to display Wall, Standard or Sheet mode moviesheets. Sheets are handled dynamically as you select a given video file. This will only work for WDLXTV versions that support WDTVExt. At this time, it's any version based on the 1.02.21 base firmware.
  2. Linksheets. This is a different method of displaying moviesheets that does not rely on WDTVExt, so it will work no matter what WD base firmware is used by WDLXTV (1.01 through 1.04). This method is however much slower (available sheets are scanned when the WDTV is booted), and requires that every sheet file has a unique name. More info here: http://forum.wdlxtv.com/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=2079 .

Q: How can I compile applications from source to run on the WDTV?
A: Simplest way is to use a debian-squeeze environment, as described in this post. For larger projects, you will want to use an Ubuntu environment (the environment recommended by WD) or Debian, and setup a cross compile environment.

Q: Does WDLXTV support the WDTV Live Streaming?
A: No, and it probably never will. WD are encrypting a significant portion of the firmware of this new device, which means we can't do much with it, unless you want a WDTV missing nearly all its online services, including Netflix.

Known issues

Problem: I can't access network shares on my Windows 7 desktop. I have Windows Live Essentials 2011 installed on it.
Problem: I can't reboot anymore from the webend (0.4.5.1)
Problem: I can no longer see a list of channels in Shoutcast as of December 2010
Solution: Upgrade to 0.4.5.3 or newer.

Problem: I can no longer reach my Webend (Live/Plus).
Answer: Known bug that happens the first time you access the webend after upgrading to 0.4.3.x, fixed in 0.4.5.0.
Solution: Instructions on how to fix the invalid config entry here. Or, upgrade to 0.4.5.3 or newer.

Problem: I forgot my ssh and/or webend password. How can I reset it? (/Live/Plus)
Answer: User error.
Solution: If the passwords mentionned in the firmware README don't work, you can reset them using the app there.

Problem: Some .MKV files can't play (Live)
Answer: Known issue with the WD proprietary code which doesn't support MKV header compression
Solution: Remux your .MKV and disable Header Compression, or switch to a build based on a 1.03 or 1.04 BaseFW.

Problem: Some of my thumbnails don't show, while deeper ones show (Live/Plus)
Answer: Known issue in the WD proprietary code, more details here.
Solution: There is a workaround mentioned here. Also, fixed in 0.4.7.0+.

Problem: Some or all of my moviesheets don't show, but I'm sure to have all settings correct.
Answer: Most of the times it's either a problem with the size of the images or their names.
Solution: Have a close look at this thread. Also make sure you use a supported WDLXTV version.

Problem: I cannot see any of my Playlists in YoutubeHD. *UPDATED*
Answer: Seems to be an issue in WD's code and/or Youtube's API, as they confirmed the problem with the original firmware and they recently fixed is in 1.04.31.
Solution: A workaround for WDLXTV has been implemented. Telnet in, run "getproxies", then try again accessing playlists. If it works, run that command inside a S99user-options script to execute it every reboot. The fix will be implemented in future versions.

Problem: I upgraded to 0.4.7.2, and my wireless interface no longer works
Answer: 0.4.7.2 (not widely available yet as of March 2011) included a new experimental kernel that seems to be missing or breaking support for some USB wireless interfaces.
Solution: Upgrade to 0.4.7.3.

Problem: I upgraded to 1.02.21-WDLXTV-Live-0.4.7.x and now WDTVExt plugins don't work anymore.
Answer: This is due to some internal changes regarding the plugin names and structure. This should be corrected on first boot with new version but sometimes it seems to not work properly.
Solution: Execute the following commands via telnet/ssh or append them to S00custom-options file and reboot.
Code: Select all
rm /conf/wdtvext-plugins
config_tool -s
config_tool -s

If you executed these commands from shell reboot your device.

Problem: I upgraded to 1.02.21-WDLXTV-Live-0.4.7.3 and now rtorrent doesn't work anymore.
Solution: For all you with Flash version of 0.4.7.3 with same problem - you need to comment line in the rtorrent.rc (#encoding_list = UTF-8,UTF8,UTF-16,UTF16) using for example: nano /conf/rtorrent.rc

Problem I am trying to flash my device, but it stays stuck at 0%.
Solution: This seems to happen for random people. If after 2 minutes everything is still at 0% and you see no activity on your USB flash, unplug the usb drive for 5 seconds, then plug it back. The flashing process usually starts within a few seconds after that.

Problem: YoutubeHD stopped working again in early August 2011 (Live/Plus) *NEW*
Answer: Youtube did some changes to the way they generate their HTML
Solution: Under 0.4.7.3 or newer, try just rebooting your WDTV. If it still doesn't work, then follow the instructions here to make it automatically update to the fixed proxy at boot time.

Frequently used commands (linux-n00b section)

ls list files and directories in the current directory
pwd shows the current working directory
touch creates an empty file (eg to create the empty .mnt file for rtorrent to get working)
nano very nice file editor with keystroke helps at the bottom of the screen (note to self: vi is for the die-hards)
sync flushes all open file handlers to disk - handy to make sure everything is written to disk before unplugging/rebooting device. Most used flavor in combination with reboot as in 'sync && sync && reboot' which only reboots if all syncs have been performed successfully
screen very handy program to run programs in the real background. Logging off and on does not kill the program. rtorrent is started in a screen session. Important keystrokes are: "ctrl-A d" to detach and "screen -r" to re-attach a screen to your telnet/ssh session
df -k shows the 'disk free' in KB for each of the connected devices
du shows the 'disk usage' starting from the current directory
rm removes stuff - carefully with this one - no undelete possible!
cp / mv copies and moves stuff around - watch out with the non-ext3 and root.bins: internal flash is really write-protected!
unrar unrar's stuff
tar tar's and untar's stuff
config_tool -c [param]="setting" used to switch parameters in /conf/config
config_tool -s syncs & writes settings into /conf/config file
reboot reboots the WDTV, same as pulling and reconnecting power plug but more safe (all disk writes get flushed)

Read http://wiki.wdlxtv.com/Shell_Tips for more information!
WDLXTV Webend maintainer. Visit http://www.lostrealm.ca/wdlxtv to see my other WDLXTV projects.
If you like my work, please consider donating.
RMerlin
WDLXTV Team

Return to FAQ & INFO