SABNZBD + SICKBEARD + COUCHPOTATO INSTALL TIPS

This is the place to ask for how to use software that is (or isn't) included in the various wdlxtv flavours. Questions about software such as rtorrent, NZBGet, sshfs, curlftpfs, ssh, telnet, etc.

SABNZBD + SICKBEARD + COUCHPOTATO INSTALL TIPS   

Postby mickeyp87 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 3:01 pm

So peeps this is my first post online. This is not a definitive guide on how to do it step by step. I just want to share with you some issues I had and how I fixed them.

Note before I start: If you would like me to elaborate some more on the steps I took just let me know where you are stuck and I can give you a hand where I can.

For the most part of it the installation would have been easy but the guides are missing some really important information which made me want to rip my hair out (what hair I have left).

So starting with sabnzbd and sickbeard.

Before you even think of starting the guide at http://wiki.wdlxtv.com/Setup_sabnzbd get a usb and format it using ext3 format. You may say what the hell is ext3 format... It is in noob terms a linux type of formatting. "Wait I dont have linux". Easy :) download virtualbox (free virtualization platform) and ubuntu (linux os) and you can install in a virtual machine on your computer to do this. Then use GParted to format.

Back to sabnzbd and sickbeard.

Now the setup guide they have should work fine. If you do have any errors along the way just remember to chmod any new folder you create or need to drop folders/files into... Love that chmod :D ..

Couchpotato
Simple. Just download the linux version. Make a folder in your /opt/share folder called CouchPotato and copy CP in there. Then extact it using the following command.
filename.tgz tar -zxvf

Once finished extracting you can start it up the same way you start up sabnzbd and sickbeard. Mine looks like this.
screen -dmS CouchPotato /opt/bin/python2.6 /opt/share/cp/CouchPotato.py

I named my CP folder cp because I was too lazy to write the whole thing. If you ever get stuck and want to easily copy the full folder name just use filemanager on the WDLXTV home page.

Great you have got everything working but after running for 10 minutes it begins to freeze, in which you have to reboot the F*&#n WD box.

Answer: Swap file.

Reason: Since the WD box has stuff all memory the above apps can become quite memory intensive and can make your WD useless.

How: Plug in your large usb storage. Go into wdlxtv and click config then main. Go down to swap file and create a swap file on your mass storage usb at exactly 2048 in size then reboot. This will stop the freezes.

This is only a quick post so as I said if you want me to elaborate let me know.
mickeyp87
n00b

Re: SABNZBD + SICKBEARD + COUCHPOTATO INSTALL TIPS   

Postby fireflash » Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:58 am

Everything looks good except for the swap file. I can't find that in the config anywhere.
fireflash
n00b

Postby KAD » Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:30 am

you're probably on a firmware/kernel that does not support swap

http://wiki.wdlxtv.com/Differences_between_kernels

KAD
If you like my work please consider a Donation. Donate
Please read the appropriate documentation before posting questions! READ ME FAQ WIKI
PM's are for private matters. Post support questions to the appropriate forum, or they will be ignored.
KAD
Global Moderator

Postby recliq » Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:05 am

fireflash wrote:Everything looks good except for the swap file. I can't find that in the config anywhere.

If you don't find an option for swap in WEC->Main your kernel doesn't support swap. :geek:
­WDLXTV Project Maintainer
-:] If you like my contributions feel free to donate for a beer or a new flash drive. ...and always remember: RTFM! (README, FAQ, WIKI) [:-
recliq
WDLXTV Team

Postby jesusfish » Sun May 06, 2012 8:33 pm

using uname -a I see I have the following kernel: Linux WDTVLIVEPLUS 2.6.22.19-19-4 #5

I see the swap file menu at WEC -> Config -> Main tab

I flashed the most recent kernel listen on the wiki: http://b-rad.cc/binaries/wdtvlive2.fff - I rebooted and everything came up fine

Via the WEC, I set the swap to 512 MB on a usb flash drive attached to my wdtv (the same usb drive i used to flash to the latest wdlxtv version for swap support). I saw the swap file completely build up to 512 and got the completion/save message.

I did a reboot (from the WEC) and the WDTV wouldn't boot any longer. I let it run for 10 minutes. nothing. I unplugged power, power back in, let run for another 10 minutes. nothing.

I then unplugged power and unplugged the flash drive. power back in, and then my box booted just fine.

:arrow: does anyone know why the swap didn't appear to work? did I miss a step? any guidance would be much appreciated :)
jesusfish
n00b

Postby mickeyp87 » Mon May 07, 2012 1:33 am

Are u sure u formatted the drive as ext3??
mickeyp87
n00b

Postby jesusfish » Mon May 07, 2012 4:04 pm

I did format it. I've used it to flash the WD box several times. It also seemed to have created the swap according to the WEC, as I saw the swap file building status in the WEC.

I had always just left the flash drive plugged in to the box I assume every time the WD box loads it is looking at my firmware files on my USB drive. Could there be a conflict created by having my firmware update files and the swap on the same drive?
jesusfish
n00b

Postby mickeyp87 » Mon May 07, 2012 6:05 pm

I recently just had an issue where I had to wipe my USB and reflash wdtv and because the wdtv couldn't read the usb
mickeyp87
n00b

Postby jesusfish » Mon May 07, 2012 9:19 pm

Did the USB drive you wiped have the swap on it?
jesusfish
n00b

Postby mickeyp87 » Mon May 07, 2012 10:00 pm

Yep....
mickeyp87
n00b

Next

Return to Application Questions