Atmolight/Karatelight for WDTV-Live

This is the place to ask for how to use software that is (or isn't) included in the various wdlxtv flavours. Questions about software such as rtorrent, NZBGet, sshfs, curlftpfs, ssh, telnet, etc.

Atmolight/Karatelight for WDTV-Live   

Postby pfleiderer » Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:38 am

Hi all here.

First of all i like to thank all the great devellopers here for there great work. And yes,for sure i have done some donations yet ;)
In addition to my three WDTV-Live's i have a VU+ Duo Sat receiver with E2 Linux (like a dreambox) for a few weeks.
The systems work together great for me, and i still like to use the WDTV with the firmware from here for Mediaplayer usage, It is offcause the much better system for playing media.

Now i have found a very interesting project in the VU+ forum. They have build a plugin to controll a atmolight LED-String controller... its a thing like he Ambilight from Phillipps to have a RGB-LED light around your TV which is controlled by the coulors of the Movie you are whatching.
Now i have the question if you, the Pro's, did see a chance to implement this plugin into WDLXTV, or even made it possible to run under WDLXTV.

I would like to use the amzing features not even while watching TV, but lso while watching Video from WDTV-Live.

I think it may be also interesting for many other WDTV Users. I add links to the VU+ Forum and also to sample videos for more information,

tkx for answers

i hobe i did the liks right... its my first attempt

http://www.vuplus-support.org/wbb2/thread.php?threadid=9056&hilight=atmolight
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKAyuMCyL7w
pfleiderer
n00b

Re: Atmolight/Karatelight for WDTV-Live   

Postby mad_ady » Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:22 am

Interesting stuff, but I don't think this is easily done on the wdtv.

As I see it, the led light strip gets its data (what color it should turn to) by decoding the video frame and deciding what color is on the left side, on the right and top and bottom. Having these hues it's relatively easy to command the leds to light up.

The problem is - I don't think you can get decoded data from the wdtv because decoding is done in hardware, and the output is pushed out the video port(s). I don't think you can get the output back in software (if you could, you could save netflix videos, for instance).

The way this could possibly be done would be to find some sort of hardware adapter where you plug in your wdtv output (hdmi/composite/component) and the adapter interprets the decoded signal and sends the correct commands to the led strip and also sends a copy of the video to your screen. This type of hardware adapter should allow you to use the strip with any video device (since the signal along the cable is standard).
mad_ady
Developer

Postby thepanoguy » Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:50 am

I can only read English; the site looks like German.

Are there any English explanations and circuit diagrams of the device available?
thepanoguy
DLX'er

Postby pfleiderer » Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:09 am

thepanoguy wrote:I can only read English; the site looks like German.

Are there any English explanations and circuit diagrams of the device available?

Sorry,you are right. i will try to find some explanation in english

mad_ady wrote:Interesting stuff, but I don't think this is easily done on the wdtv.

As I see it, the led light strip gets its data (what color it should turn to) by decoding the video frame and deciding what color is on the left side, on the right and top and bottom. Having these hues it's relatively easy to command the leds to light up.

The problem is - I don't think you can get decoded data from the wdtv because decoding is done in hardware, and the output is pushed out the video port(s). I don't think you can get the output back in software (if you could, you could save netflix videos, for instance).

If i have understand it in a right way, the Plugin produces an Output which the Contoller (Hardware) could understand. The Controller could be build by anyone, cause you can get the Plan for free (public lisence)... or could be bought finished for about 70€. The controller was connected to the VU+ by USB Port.

Cause i am middle in Moving my Home i am a bit bussy... i will do more if all ths is done
pfleiderer
n00b

Postby mad_ady » Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:30 am

Yes, but the plugin must be able to decide what color to send to the controller, and so it needs to be able to decode the video signal.
I don't know any way in which you could get the video signal (decoded) in software, for the wdtv...
mad_ady
Developer

Postby pfleiderer » Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:46 am

mad_ady wrote:Yes, but the plugin must be able to decide what color to send to the controller, and so it needs to be able to decode the video signal.
I don't know any way in which you could get the video signal (decoded) in software, for the wdtv...

neither i do, not at all, cause i am not in linux and not in WDTV- Hardware too. I just know that the guys from the dreamboxes forum (as VU+) have found a way for these systems.

In my poor understanding i thought just if its possible to use the plugin progammed for Dreamboxes and transport it just to the WDTV... Linux to Linux... with some small addaptions.. :roll:

Please excuse if this is a kind of "bullshit idea"

I've just thought it will be a nice additional feature for a lot of WDTV users...
pfleiderer
n00b

Postby pfleiderer » Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:03 am

thepanoguy wrote:I can only read English; the site looks like German.

I have found an english description of he conroller device direct from the engeneer who build it... perhaps this may help

http://ca.rstenpresser.de/~cpresser/atmo.html
pfleiderer
n00b

Postby recliq » Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:34 am

no this doesn't help... of course you can build the hardware and connect it to wdtv, you may also be able to write some scripts to control the lights,
BUT the main problem remains (like mad_ady stated) there's no way of getting the colors from the decoded video. All video decoding is done in hardware.
On WDTV you just tell the sigma chip which file to play and the hw does all the rest (decoding, video output etc) there's no way i know of to get in between the video decoder and the video output.
­WDLXTV Project Maintainer
-:] If you like my contributions feel free to donate for a beer or a new flash drive. ...and always remember: RTFM! (README, FAQ, WIKI) [:-
recliq
WDLXTV Team

Postby pfleiderer » Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:44 am

recliq wrote:On WDTV you just tell the sigma chip which file to play and the hw does all the rest (decoding, video output etc) there's no way i know of to get in between the video decoder and the video output.

Thank you all for your answers. I think we can close this...
pfleiderer
n00b

Postby mad_ady » Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:08 pm

Well, for the sake of argument, there might be a way - but it is very very inefficient and buggy:

You could have a script that constantly polls to see what is being played and what offset in the file is currently being rendered. With this information you could ask ffmpeg (or a different software decoder) to load the movie file at that offset and dump one frame in a convenient format. Then, you can have a different script/program to decode the frame and decide what colors are on the edges and send those colors to the led display.

Pros:
* you could in theory have the leds show the color similar to what is on screen

Cons:
* HIGH CPU USAGE (might make the box unstable during playback)
* HIGH Network/Disk usage (the movie needs to be opened and transfered twice - once for the hardware decoder and again for ffmpeg)
* SLOW - it may take 1-2 seconds for decoding to be done and you would end up with old colors on the light strip (I guess it could be tweaked to ask for a video frame in advance to compensate for decoding delay)
* would not work on the OSD images and web services/Netflix (only on movies/pictures)

It could still be an interesting project to try, but the software approach is too complicated for good results. Before trying this I would search for homebrew video decoders (based on Composite/Component/HDMI signals) that can also control the light strip...
mad_ady
Developer

Next

Return to Application Questions