Webend remote view

Feature requests / enhancements discussion regarding the web interface

Re: Webend remote view   

Postby Darren » Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:15 am

I was thinking the same, that there needs to be some command line options for this function, to get the image type that you want.

A low-res image would certainly be fine for simple navigation.
Here's an example of the two resizing methods. Before you look at the bottom one, see how readable the top one is. :-)

Last edited by Darren on Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Darren
DLX'er

Postby mad_ady » Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:26 am

The top version looks good enough if you know what you are looking for and if you are in a hurry :) I could read the entries, even though they are jaggy...

Edit: It might defeat the purpose to get top speed, but you could try to apply a small blur on the image to unsharpen it :P Or better yet, do this on the browser side and consume CPU cycles where they are not noticed :D
mad_ady
Developer

Postby recliq » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:01 am

Just my 2 cents:
What about writing a small c/c++ programm to get the uncompressed image from WDTVExt and use a generic library (eg. libjpeg, libpng, ...) to encode the image instead of using shell commands and convert.
This might boost the speed significantly.
:ugeek:

PS: Both libraries should be already present in WDLXTV so you can make a shared binary whilch will be quite small as well.
­WDLXTV Project Maintainer
-:] If you like my contributions feel free to donate for a beer or a new flash drive. ...and always remember: RTFM! (README, FAQ, WIKI) [:-
recliq
WDLXTV Team

Postby mad_ady » Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:17 am

You're being a perfectionist :p

But it would make a nice project for somebody wanting to re-learn C, like me. I'll keep it in mind... In the mean time I think a shell script is adequate, even if it's not the most efficient. I think the effort will be better spent to include support for directfb as well...
mad_ady
Developer

Postby Darren » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:55 pm

It would be fun to see if a little custom app could be faster :)

Btw, not sure if its just my wdtv box (it sometimes acts flaky when the weather is warm) but sometimes the wdtvext stops responding to screen image requests. This also happens with the windows based remote view clients. The only fix I have is to reboot the box.
Darren
DLX'er

Postby mad_ady » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:08 pm

I don't think it's just your box. I too noticed that image requests would go unanswered sometimes...
mad_ady
Developer

Postby Darren » Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:35 pm

Download the v1.0 version of screen.sh

I added some more functionality to the script:
- Shows usage information, including details on typical image quality, processing times, and output sizes. (times and sizes are averages, so results will vary)
- You can easily select four different quality levels for the output image.
- You can specify an optional save path for the output image.
- The output image is named with a suffix based on the quality level. This allows multiple quality level images to be consumed at the same time.
- Returns status strings, useful for scripting.
- Handles a timeout condition for cases where wdtvext does not respond.

Btw, I realized after more testing that the jpg format was best overall. Using the bmp format was the same overall speed or slower, so it wasn't worth it.
Darren
DLX'er

Postby mad_ady » Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:17 pm

I haven't tested it, but it looks good. Would you like to work on the web interface as well? When you are done you can package everything as an app.bin (http://wiki.wdlxtv.com/Creating_an_app_bin).

Then we (and by "we" I mean "you" :P) can try to extend your script to 1.05 (it can detect the base firmware where it's running from a system file) and automatically output the same thing.
mad_ady
Developer

Postby Darren » Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:38 am

Thanks, and "we" can't do that right now, lol.

I took a detour to find a way to get a local screen capture, and now I need to keep working on my original project.

If you end up working on the web interface idea, I could do some odds and ends if you like. :-)
Darren
DLX'er

Postby mad_ady » Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:41 am

Fair enough :P

I'll search for some free time (maybe apt-get install free-time?) and try to do it if there are no volunteers :)

By the way - what was your project about? Anything interesting for the community?
mad_ady
Developer

PreviousNext

Return to Webend Web Interface