Feature ideas for the webend

Feature requests / enhancements discussion regarding the web interface

Re: Feature ideas for the webend   

Postby mad_ady » Sat Dec 18, 2010 11:03 am

I'd like to pitch in an idea for the webend.
I've noticed in the EXT3 SVN version that you can see disk free space on mounted devices. It would be useful to also estimate free space under /conf and /tmp. This would pinpoint issues where the wdtv runs out of memory or when the wdtv is reset to factory settings because /conf is overfilled.

I know you can't get this information just by doing a df -h, but the sizes of the mount points must be known (and I suspect they are the same for both the wdtv-live and wdtv-live-plus). You can then do a difference between the known total size and the output of du -ch /tmp, du -ch /conf/.

There could also be a little warning (change in bar color) if the free space is below 5-10%...

Does this sound feasible/useful?
mad_ady
Developer

Postby RMerlin » Sat Dec 18, 2010 11:46 am

Sounds reasonable, except people will see they still have 50% of space left in /conf, dump one single file that is "oh, just small enough to fit", and still brick their WDTV. Best to simply tell end users NOT to put anything there unless asked by a dev. As for devs, they should know better by now :)
WDLXTV Webend maintainer. Visit http://www.lostrealm.ca/wdlxtv to see my other WDLXTV projects.
If you like my work, please consider donating.
RMerlin
WDLXTV Team

Postby shunte » Sat Dec 18, 2010 12:25 pm

I'm defo learning - the hard way ;)
If you like the work I do please feel free to make a donation to the Red Cross
shunte
Developer

Postby Jo2003 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:11 am

Hi there!
Would it be possible to make a form for each group used in one tab (category)? I think it would be a good idea to save only stuff really needed and not to save the whole bunch at once.

So if you have some config array elements with e.g. group "kartinatv" you should create a html form around it with save / reset / backup button. So you would have one form for every UMSP plugin. On button "save" you would only save values from this one config group and not for e.g. all UMSP plugins.

Best regards,
Jo2003
Jo2003
Developer

Postby RMerlin » Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:48 am

Jo2003 wrote:Hi there!
Would it be possible to make a form for each group used in one tab (category)? I think it would be a good idea to save only stuff really needed and not to save the whole bunch at once.

So if you have some config array elements with e.g. group "kartinatv" you should create a html form around it with save / reset / backup button. So you would have one form for every UMSP plugin. On button "save" you would only save values from this one config group and not for e.g. all UMSP plugins.

Best regards,
Jo2003

I'll think about it, however this might not be trivial within the current design.
WDLXTV Webend maintainer. Visit http://www.lostrealm.ca/wdlxtv to see my other WDLXTV projects.
RMerlin
WDLXTV Team

Postby RMerlin » Sat Jan 01, 2011 6:56 pm

Now that the big Oh-Four-Five is out, time to go back to adding new stuff. I updated the first post.
RMerlin
WDLXTV Team

Postby RMerlin » Sat Jan 01, 2011 11:50 pm

Jo2003 wrote:Hi there!

Best regards,
Jo2003

Found a compromise that works pretty well - the Save button now only saves what's on the current page. Doing so per group would generate an horribly messy UI, so I'm only doing it per-tab.

I still need to revamp the whole backup/restore part. I have a few ideas to play with...
RMerlin
WDLXTV Team

Postby mad_ady » Sun Jan 02, 2011 6:09 am

I'd like to point out that more and more people are shooting themselves in the foot by filling up their /conf folder.
I think it would be helpful to show available/used space from those mount points.
I will look into the current scripts and come up with a specific one for /conf, but first, I'd like to know what the limits are. So far I found that:
Check the size of the /conf content and /tmp content. /conf should be below 100 KB, and /tmp should be a bit below 97 MB

For /tmp the check is straight-forward:
Code: Select all
# df -h /tmp
Filesystem                Size      Used Available Use% Mounted on
none                     97.2M      4.9M     92.3M   5% /tmp

For conf, I guess we will have to build something that measures the used space by using du:
Code: Select all
# du -ch /tmp/conf
512.0K   /tmp/conf
512.0K   total

However, the space reported by du is not consistent to what is reported by ls -lh. The sum of the files based on ls -lh is about ~62Kb for 33 files (in my case). Does anyone know what the overhead is for each file - e.g. how much space would be consumed by 100 empty files?
One option of reporting would be deducting the file sizes from the 100kb limit. This would give people a sense of how much free space is available in /conf.

I volunteed to do this, but I want to know if what I'm proposing is accurate.
mad_ady
Developer

Postby b-rad.cc » Sun Jan 02, 2011 7:19 am

How about people just stop writing stuff to /conf. Its not meant as a storage depot. People have no reason to be pushing the limit and storing 95KB in there, because what happens when something new in the firmware then requires 10KB?
PM's are for private matters only, please post public matters on the forum to help others who might have the same issue.
:mrgreen:
b-rad.cc
WDLXTV Team

Postby mad_ady » Sun Jan 02, 2011 8:10 am

Well, just because it's a bad idea doesn't mean it has to be obscured to the end user... After all, the Linux philosophy is to give the user enough rope to hang himself, and then throw in some extra slack. <flame>After all we're not dealing with Apple users which don't like to look under the hood</flame>

I agree people shouldn't write a lot of things to /conf, but it can be used in some scenarios... IMHO, if the user gets warned about the risks and consequences, then there is no problem...
mad_ady
Developer

PreviousNext

Return to Webend Web Interface