Testers needed to help out with porting wdlxtv to 1.06 base

General homebrew discussion area

Testers needed to help out with porting wdlxtv to 1.06 base   

Postby mad_ady » Wed Dec 31, 2014 5:57 am

Hello everyone!

Some of you may know that I'm starting to port the WDLXTV firmware to 1.06 base so that we can finally use WD's last firmware together with the WDLXTV customisations and have the best of both worlds. This will be a lengthy process that I will be working in my spare time and I expect it will take some months before work is complete and we can ship a flashable firmware (b-rad worked for a few weeks on 1.05, but he was b-rad and knew what he was doing :lol: )

I will be needing help from the community with testing various commits that I'll do over time. The persons doing the testing should be somewhat familiar with WDLXTV's features (things like telnet, ssh, Net mounts, Linksheets, CIFS Interceptor, RTorrent, webend, app.bins, UMSP, etc) and should have the ability to test them on the new firmware once the bits are added in. I will also do some testing, but I will limit myself to the features I actually use. It's ok if a person can't test everything, as long as we can get all features tested.

I expect of the testers not to be proficient in Linux (hard to get skilled help these days :roll: ), but to know their way around telnet/ssh and to be able to read the log files (namely understand these topics: http://wiki.wdlxtv.com/Shell_Tips, http://wiki.wdlxtv.com/Telnet_and_ssh_remote_connections).

One major problem is that I don't have a plus, so I can't test the Plus firmware at all. I will make the same edits I do for live and copy them over, but I can't test anything so I really need testers for Plus.

For now I just uploaded the stock firmwares to svn and I expect to begin working on them in a couple of weeks (after another release for Live/Plus is done). If you want to be a tester, you can grab a .rootFS root.bin version of the stock firmware and boot it, just to make sure it works correctly. Use the instructions over here: http://wiki.wdlxtv.com/RootFS below and use these SVN repos:

1.06.43-WDLXTV-Live: https://svn.wdlxtv.com/svn/1.06.43-wdlxtv/live/trunk

1.06.42-WDLXTV-Plus: https://svn.wdlxtv.com/svn/1.06.43-wdlxtv/plus/trunk

It's normal to get some errors for the chmod commands - those files don't exist yet.

Edit: note that you can try this as a .rootFS now - the newer busybox makes it work now. Instructions on how to switch to rootFS (if you already have ext3 on your usb drive): http://wiki.wdlxtv.com/RootFS

Edit: It seems the stock images don't boot as rootFS, but work as root.bin. [THIS HAS BEEN FIXED]. So, to get started you can follow these steps (example for Live, some output ommited):
Note: You can use a FAT or NTFS formatted disk, no need for ext3 when using root.bins. Make sure you have at least 650MB free. You can run these commands directly on the WDTV, but you need to have the devtools.app.bin installed (provides the svn command).

Code: Select all
#cd /tmp/mnt/your-usb-disk-uuid

# dd if=/dev/zero of=root.bin bs=1M count=650
650+0 records in
650+0 records out
681574400 bytes (682 MB) copied, 249.473 s, 2.7 MB/s

# mkfs.ext3 root.bin
mke2fs 1.42.9 (4-Feb-2014)
root.bin is not a block special device.
Proceed anyway? (y,n) y
Discarding device blocks: done                           
Filesystem label=1.06-root.bin
OS type: Linux
Block size=4096 (log=2)
Fragment size=4096 (log=2)
Stride=0 blocks, Stripe width=0 blocks
41664 inodes, 166400 blocks
0 blocks (0.00%) reserved for the super user
First data block=0
Maximum filesystem blocks=171966464
6 block groups
32768 blocks per group, 32768 fragments per group
6944 inodes per group
Superblock backups stored on blocks:
   32768, 98304, 163840

Allocating group tables: done                           
Writing inode tables: done                           
Creating journal (4096 blocks): done
Writing superblocks and filesystem accounting information: done

# mkdir temp

# mount -o loop root.bin temp

# cd temp

# svn co --username guest --password guest https://svn.wdlxtv.com/svn/1.06.43-wdlxtv/live/trunk .
... output ommited ...
# chmod 4755 usr/bin/sudo
# chmod 440 etc/sudoers
# chmod 440 etc/sudoers.d/README
# chmod 700 root/.ssh
# sync && sync && sync && sync

# cd ..
# umount temp

Each time I signal that there are updates available you can update your copy by doing these steps:

cd /tmp/mnt/your-usb-disk-uuid
mount -o loop root.bin temp
cd temp
svn update
cd ..
umount temp

For now, please report back if the stock firmware doesn't boot/doesn't work correctly. (Edit: I'm a bit dissapointed in the community that nobody complained that the rootFS wouldn't boot. I mean, everybody had the new years evening at their disposal, so lots of time for testing :roll: )

Edit: If you want to keep track of the changes that appear, you can import the following URLs in your favourite RSS reader:
live: http://svn.wdlxtv.com/rss.php?repname=1.06.43-wdlxtv&path=%2Flive%2F&isdir=1&
plus: http://svn.wdlxtv.com/rss.php?repname=1.06.43-wdlxtv&path=%2Fplus%2F&isdir=1&

Thanks!
mad_ady
Developer

Re: Testers needed to help out with porting wdlxtv to 1.06 b   

Postby kroetkroet » Thu Jan 01, 2015 11:27 am

Mad_ady, sorry to be the first to report back, but this topic is locked, so nobody could ever complain (except me and some other pain-in-the-@sses) :lol:

I'll look for a test USB and start twiggling around, thanks for the crisp & clear instructions on how to create the root.bin, this definitly helps a crazy beta tester like me :mrgreen:

Cherios!
KK
WDLXTV-fan! - In case you need further assistance: read our WIKI, search our Forum and most of all: donate 'something' to b-rad for his great efforts!!!
kroetkroet
Beta Tester

Postby mad_ady » Thu Jan 01, 2015 11:36 am

Thanks for pointing that out. I had marked the topic as "Global" so that it would be seen everywhere. It seems it also locks it in the process. Moved the thread back under the relevant subforum so that we could have a discussion.

Regarding booting the firmware - it looks like what I commited to svn doesn't boot yet... I've tried the root.bin approach and it locks up (messages via console):

Searching for root.bin or active filesystem...
ROOT_UUID: a058c2ec-a19a-426c-a7f5-79bf632f7c99
kjournald starting. Commit interval 5 seconds
EXT3 FS on sda1, internal journal
EXT3-fs: recovery complete.
EXT3-fs: mounted filesystem with ordered data mode.
Checking disk /dev/sda1...
fsck 1.41.9 (22-Aug-2009)
WARNING: couldn't open /etc/fstab: No such file or directory
e2fsck 1.41.9 (22-Aug-2009)
WDLXTV-ALL: clean, 37280/122880 files, 270040/491264 blocks
EXT3 FS on sda1, internal journal
Mounting root.bin image: root.bin-1.06
EXT3 FS on loop0, internal journal
/init: Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init!
exec: line 112: /init: not found

I'll need to do more digging, but I will let you know as soon as it boots
mad_ady
Developer

Postby kroetkroet » Thu Jan 01, 2015 12:14 pm

Okido, I'm still downloading through svn... I will hold myself booting until you give the green light :mrgreen:
WDLXTV-fan! - In case you need further assistance: read our WIKI, search our Forum and most of all: donate 'something' to b-rad for his great efforts!!!
kroetkroet
Beta Tester

Postby fantaman » Fri Jan 02, 2015 9:38 am

mad_ady, congrats on the initiative and thank you, on behalf of all users. I can help testing, and even developing. I'm familiar with linux, ssh, C++, php, svn, etc.

My wish is to have the official 1.06.43 features, including playing ISO DVDs and Youtube Leanback, and add the WDLXTV features, such as xmount, ssh, webconfig, and WDTVExt (especially MediaMark). I don´t have any idea where to start, though. I can pack and unpack the firmware, but I don't know which files to add or change. Any tips?

Oh, and how can you see these messages when booting? How do I access the console during boot time?

Edit: I did some digging around, you can connect a TTL serial cable to the WDTV board and connect via COM, is that how you got to the console?
fantaman
n00b

Postby KAD » Fri Jan 02, 2015 10:20 am

he's seeing those messages on serial console
you'll need to open of the device
and connect a low voltage serial to USB adaptor
If you like my work please consider a Donation. Donate
Please read the appropriate documentation before posting questions! READ ME FAQ WIKI
PM's are for private matters. Post support questions to the appropriate forum, or they will be ignored.
KAD
Global Moderator

Postby mad_ady » Fri Jan 02, 2015 12:18 pm

@fantaman: porting wdlxtv to a new base is a lot of work. We need to check/integrate/adapt all the features and make sure we don't break anything in the process. Progress will be slow, since I won't have more than an hour a day for this project.

If you want to have a look you can start by analyzing b-rad's commits in the svn for 1.05.

For wdtvext - no promisses. I will be releasing a wdtvext firmware for 1.05, but it's unstable and we'll need to get pibos involved again...
mad_ady
Developer

Postby mad_ady » Fri Jan 09, 2015 11:31 am

Ok, good news! After a few days of head scratching an wtfs I managed to understand why the svn image would not boot - it seems I messed up the ext3 file system parameters and it couldn't see any files after switching root. Anyway, I changed the instructions in the first post for root.bin creation. If the image doesn't boot for you, redo the steps as above.

Also I noticed that my initial commit was missing about 2-300 libraries and such... No biggie :P. I added them to svn, so make sure to update.

I'm ready to start working on it, so I'd appreciate a basic feature test so far (osd, playback, network mounts, internet media, webend, netflix (if applicable), to make sure I'm not missing any more bits.

Thanks!
mad_ady
Developer

Postby mad_ady » Sat Jan 10, 2015 2:55 am

I'm also trying to boot the plus firmware root.bin on live, but I get stuck in a boot loop:
Loading ios
/bin/genxenv2.sh
/bin/gbus_read_to_file
To ga=0x8ee00000
firmware reload succesful
mount: you must specify filesystem type
system restart

Can anyone test that the plus image boots on a plus?
mad_ady
Developer

Postby mad_ady » Sat Feb 28, 2015 10:49 am

Please note, I'm restarting work on this project. Can somebody with a plus confirm if the root.bin boots for them or not? It's difficult to work "in the dark"...
mad_ady
Developer

Next

Return to WDTV G2 & WDTV Live homebrew discussion